I won it in a game of frogger...

Use this forum to post about something that doesn't fit in any other topic (ex: link to the picture of the Toyota in a sink-hole)

Moderator: Staff

I won it in a game of frogger...

Postby N law » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:22 am

:shock: What's your best road kill find?

I was heading to my folks house to watch the Vols beat the Dawgs (Go Vols!) and everyone started swerving on I-75. I too dodged the plastic wrapped pile in the road, but recognized the rack it was sitting on as a Yakima with kayak cradles. I made the block by getting off at the next exit and doubling back. Luckily it was about 100 feet after an entrance ramp, so I got back on there, right behind the TDOT roadside assistant trucks. He deployed his big "DON'T HIT ME SIGN" and proceeded to drag it to the nonexistent shoulder on the overpass. I pulled in front of him and he asked if it was mine, to which I said no. He said that he didn't have time to deal with it because he was going to a wreck, but couldn't leave it in the road. I said I'd take care of it for him :lol:

It was a 10ft angler kayak, new in the plastic from the store w/ owners manual and all of the cardboard taped on it. I also got yakima 58" bars with q-towers (two are no better from the slide) and 4 kayak cradles with 1 of them snapped in half.

I pulled down to where the was a wide shoulder about 100 yards down the road and secured it to my truck. I took my time, thinking that someone would circle back around, but no one came. I ended up heading back home. When I got to my folks house, I told them the story and dad said that a new kayak was probably cheaper to let go than paying the deductible from an interstate wreck and that's why they kept on going.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 55 times

Sponsor

Re: I won it in a game of frogger...

Postby itsmehb » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:48 pm

Nice score. Reminds me of a similar experience my bud and I had while gone fishing. Trailering his fishing rig we hit the dirt road on our way down to the river. When we got there and got out the boat wasn't on the trailer anymore. We doubled back and there it sat in the middle of the dirt road.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby DSUZU » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:19 pm

OOOOOHHHHHH man! When that blew off the back of my Spacecab I never thought I'd see it again. I'm so glad you stopped and got it. I'll head right up there to get it. Dennis :lol:

Seriously. Great score. Even better that you waited for a potential owner to come back. I've had my share of "road kill" scores over the years. And once was told by a State Trooper to "get back in my car or he'd arrest me". Enjoy. D.

Oh, and by the way. While "Volunteer" is not an acceptable term in our household (Gator wife makes the rules), that was one AWESOME "hail Mary" pass and catch that even the Gator fans appreciated.
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 576 times

Postby N law » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:26 pm

DSUZU wrote:OOOOOHHHHHH man! When that blew off the back of my Spacecab I never thought I'd see it again. I'm so glad you stopped and got it. I'll head right up there to get it. Dennis :lol:

Come on! I only want to see the receipt from where you bought it! :D It was clearly that day!

DSUZU wrote:Oh, and by the way. While "Volunteer" is not an acceptable term in our household (Gator wife makes the rules), that was one AWESOME "hail Mary" pass and catch that even the Gator fans appreciated.

No prayers about it. Butch said that he knew they would catch it and refused to call it a Hail Mary. Gators you say? on second thought, bring the receipt AND a giant GO VOLS!!!!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:09 pm

I was going to say my best road kill was a dove with my head on my Harley... But then saw you meant goods.

I found a clean 5 gallon bucket once. If I found a new kayak I would immediately buy a lotto ticket.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (on jack stands awaiting new floorboards, interior and rebuilt T-10)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 28 times

Postby N law » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:58 pm

I hope you didn't get that bucket dirty! Or did it have a hole in it but still clean?

One of my other road kill finds was this pair of linemans pliers that I keep nearby. They have a crimper below the hinge and are nice craftsman pliers. I passed them in and intersection and doubled back to grab them. Had to wait two light cycles to grab them. Another win in the frogger game!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby lorenzo816 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:29 am

what a score!
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.36 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float
MY Pictures and Videos and Build: 3-link coilover front 44 & rear FZJ80 on 37's
Uwharrie was my backyard - PM me if you need anything
lorenzo816
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 46 times

Postby DSUZU » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:16 pm

I've found more tools along the roadside. I can often even guess the size (of a wrench) before stopping. Years ago we were test driving a Police cruiser on the interstate. I told the guy driving "pull over here so I can grab that 5/8ths wrench". He about freaked out when I got it and it was indeed a Craftsman 5/8 combination wrench.
Probably best (potential) score was a Lycoming aircraft engine. I could have managed to get it into the back of my Suzuki Samurai, but decided to pass on the score as my wife would have had a fit. You're all wondering "How did an airplane engine end up alongside the road?". It was the country road leading to Lakeland's Airport where they were having the annual "Sun N Fun Flyin" (world's second largest air show). Part of the fly in is a "Fly Market", and an aircraft salvage place always sends a slide bed truck full of engines. This one must not have been secured well. "Core" value was probably around 1500.00. Very little damage due to landing in the grassy shoulder. Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby N law » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:26 pm

An aircraft engine! I think I would have had to grab that...

One of my buddies used to always refer to items as being "for steal," as in, clearly they didn't want it anymore because they left it right here beside the curb... I adopted that phrase when seeing cars broken down on the side of the road or a roofing trailer with flat tires (often abandoned because: 1- no trailer registration requirements, 2- tires are a major value, especially around roofing nails, and 3- its hard to get rid of shingles without paying.) I always tell my wife that there was a trailer "for steal" on the side of the road and she gets bent out of shape over it. One day, I towed a guy in a VW bus off the side of the interstate and took a picture of it hooked up to the back of the trooper I had at the time. I took a picture of it hooked up and said I found it on the side of the road, "for steal." She almost didn't come home that night... I finally convinced her that I wasn't going to steal a vehicle off the interstate!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby lorenzo816 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:25 pm

Dennis and N Law both your stories rock.
well done sirs.
1997 Solid Axle Rodeo :: Ar5 swap :: Revo 4Lo :: 5.29/5.36 :: Front OX :: Rear ARB :: Full Float
lorenzo816
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby DSUZU » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:18 pm

The valuable lesson in my experience was about a week later. I was telling a friend about it and he said "I would pick it up and try to find out who lost it. What if it had been yours?". My heart sank. That is indeed doing the right thing. Life is full of second chances. About 6 months later I found several collectible coins and some currency in the area across from my house. Long story short, someone had been burglarized and the crooks had taken the most valuable stuff, but had dropped a few gold coins, a Nolan Ryan Commemorative coin set (gold, silver, bronze), and some paper money. I collected it, called the Sheriff, turned it over to them, and after 90 days, I placed an ad in the paper and it became mine - free (guilt free) and clear. Still have the Nolan Ryan stuff. Nick, I believe that by waiting, you did the right thing as well. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby N law » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:52 am

Well I didn't wait too terribly long because it was between to major interchanges and lots of merging traffic! But I did expect that someone would circle back. And I've regularly checked the postings on Facebook and craigslist without any luck. I keep thinking about the "what if it had been mine?" Question and I would have hurried and ran red lights to circle back and/or posted up in a lost and found page. I'm thinking that they must have feared it caused someone to wreck and didn't want it badly enough to find out. Not far from there, my sister saw a trailer come loose and kill a girl- the car didn't stop and TN doesn't require registration for trailers.

Maybe one day I'll find them and laugh at the situation and tell them about all the fun I've had with their kayak.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby itsmehb » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:55 am

Funny how something like this can make us feel almost guilty, like why me. And funny how we sometimes spend our time. I just watched your vw make at least 20 laps, and I'm not dizzy, or am I.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 179 times

Postby lorenzo816 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:59 am

I got an idea, instead of selling it when you're 'done' with it, just hand it down to a nice person.
Good karma.
lorenzo816
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby N law » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:40 am

I definitely felt a little guilty... especially when I found out the price tag on these new was $399! :shock: And then I started looking at what it would take to fix the broken pieces on the roof rack and seeing what it would cost to adapt it to my vehicles :shock: yakima stuff is expensive!

I will probably hand it down to someone, but it might be a long while before that happens! We are in the process of getting a vanagon set up to take camping and I've been saying that I would get a kayak if I found a good deal on one :roll: :lol: ! I think we will be taking it with us a lot in the future.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby N law » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:10 pm

This kayak is prone to falling off roofs. It's done that more than it has been in the water!

I set it inside the other night and put it on the roof of my bug in the garage. The cockpit fit the curve of the roof perfectly! We were going camping this weekend with the VW club so I thought I'd bring it along. After taking the pop-up to Harrison Bay State Park, I ran home and got the bug. I tied the kayak down front and rear and even put little foam canoe blocks down to protect the roof. On the way up, I was having fun cruising in the bug and went around a gentle right hand curve on the 4 lane. I saw it shift and luckily I had the window down to catch it. With my left hand, I held it up and with my right, I navigated to the shoulder. I lost a foam block but was able to tighten back down.

I took it out to the water today and flipped it immediately. Luckily, I only soaked my wallet side and my phone pocket stayed dry. Other than that, it was a fun time. I wouldn't have spent $400 for it, but it was fun.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby N law » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:26 pm

And karma works in reverse... I went to pick up my Christmas gift to myself today, a 528lbs gun safe from Dicks Sporting goods. Three guys and I tipped it into the bed of my frontier and, because it had 4" riser legs to keep it safe from flooding, the tailgate didn't exactly close. Well, it didn't close. I couldn't pull it out, so I was content. Plus I live about a mile away. I get home and decide I'm gonna drop it in the garage because I'm alone (dumb!). When I really get to pulling on it, the banding straps break and the cardboard box fell loose. I saw a dent that was there from before I received it. I decided to return the safe, but man I was hungry... Pit stop for lunch. During lunch I get a call from a family friend urgently needing help loading something into a car. Ok, I'll help THEN return the safe. Passing by the road I live off of, I hit a red light on a slight incline. I was talking to my sister, securing TrooperChris's help once I got it swapped out. Hang up, light turns green and WOOSH, thud! ----!!!! My safe-to-be-returned was sitting in front of the Chevy Silverado behind me. He went around. Fortunately, not a whole lot of other folks could go around, so people started getting out and helping. Christmas holiday traffic. Between the interstate and the worst holiday traffic intersection. 5 of us flipped it on end, I backed up and we pushed it back in. The safe had slide free of the cardboard box now that the banding straps had been broken. I left the cardboard and agreed to return for it later. I cried a little inside and cuss a lot outside.

After weighing through my options, I flipped it out of the truck in my garage, the same place I was just 1 hour, 1 meal and 3 additional dents/bent riser legs before. They won't believe me if I bring THIS back and say, "it was dented". I guess I'm stuck with it... Oh well. I start to look it over and fortunately it was on its top, so I could evaluate the damage to the legs. I put the battery in and open the door. CRASH. Lift off hinges... Still got 10 toes. It's much lighter without the door on it.

I just got through disassembling a gun safe and all of its fire rating. I pounded the steel body mostly back into line and welded the cracked seams. Now I just have to gingerly carry it into place without tweaking any legs and reassembly all of the interior.

I guess in a way, it was like frogger but this level wasn't as fun.
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:11 pm

DOH! Oh man, that sucks.

... all the stuff I've lost or broken because of... "eh, it'll ride..."
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (on jack stands awaiting new floorboards, interior and rebuilt T-10)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 28 times

Return to General Chit Chat