Upgrading the wife's ride.

Use this forum to post about something that doesn't fit in any other topic (ex: link to the picture of the Toyota in a sink-hole)

Moderator: Staff

Re: Upgrading the wife's ride.

Postby Von » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:03 pm

N law wrote:Wow, look at you two! Not even a month into it and you've already been given the luxury service. "sorry for your horn inconvenience; you've been upgraded." Are you telling the guys on the "zone" about your affair in the luxury world?

nah. good guys, very helpful with the truck.. but not a lot of convo going on there.

His license is currently good, but the slow wheels of justice haven't addressed that incident yet. And he still hasn't registered it or gotten insurance. And the car isn't at 100% yet. Still no left turn signals or parking lights, front and rear. We've warned him he's on his own and homeless if he goes to jail again.

they hauled him off because his license was suspended... they knew he was hammered but I think they just didn't want to mess with the paperwork. I was there... pitiful site. And they impounded the car because he had no insurance. That's how they roll here.

We're staying out of the wall issue, that's all his. The woman that owns the house sent him a letter saying she would let him pay out the 7 grand in damages... or she can take him to court. IF I had to step in then I'd say he should pay out the deductible on her homeowner's insurance claim, guessing that's how it would go in a civil suit. And if she doesn't have homeowners insurance... well... I guess they should get together and form a dumbass club. Even when I was young(er) and dumb(er) and filing for bankruptcy I always paid the insurance premiums before I bought food. I hate making the payments but when you need it...

A 2001 jeep registered as a 72 VW bus... cool trick there.

We got the 328 back today. I complimented the service manager on the slick upsell tactics with the loaded 528 loaner... he blushed! Actually blushed! And then complained again about not having enough loaner cars. Dealers in Dallas keep 200 loaners on hand and he has 10 loaners and 20 cars in for repairs. It's tough... "everyone just expects to get a loaner..." which I interpreted to mean "all you BMW driving asshats expect a loaner"

I was at wally world earlier (in the truck so I didn't have to park away from all those door dinging heathens...) and got some Mobil 1 0w40 for her car. I have 4 filters already and have the cartridge cap wrench on the way. I priced a filter while I was at WalMart, they have them. Fram XG10075. $25! For a Fram filter? Just a paper filter with no metal shell on it? I'm guessing O rings are in there too... box was taped shut.

The dealer we bought it from changed the oil when they had it but they didn't replace the O ring or torqued it wrong or something... seeping oil from the cap and it's pissin her off... So I'll change the oil when the stuffs come in and clean everything up good.
... I don't think the "new" is going to wear off for her any time soon.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 33 times

Sponsor

Postby kg4miq » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:40 pm

Von wrote:Lori stopped by the house for lunch. And to inform me that the 528 is NOT slow... I just didn't step on it enough.

But neither one of our coffee mugs will fit in the 528 cup holders. POS.

Best laugh of the day! BWHAHAHAHA! :lol:
How to rebuild a 2.6L 4ZE1 distributor

'89 S Trooper - "Kal-El" - 4ZE1
'88 LS Trooper - "Delta" - 4ZE1
'92 Pickup - "Blacktail" - 4ZE1
'89 S Trooper - "Red Leader" - 4ZE1
'89 SE Trooper - "Vader" - 4ZE1
'90 Trooper - "Leia" - 4JG2T swap on hold
'89 Pickup - "Wicket" - 4ZD1
'90 S Trooper - "Nan" - 4ZE1 (possible V8 swap - Ford 302 with 5 speed?)
'94 S Amigo - "Artoo" - 4ZE1, SOLD
'92 XS Rodeo - "Jabba", LH0, 3.1L V6
'89 S Trooper - "Chewie" - 4ZE1, TRADED
'89 XS Trooper - "Red" - 4ZE1, SOLD, bought it back
'89 LS Trooper - "Obi-Wan" - LH0, 3.1L V6
'88 S Trooper - "Stormtrooper" - 4ZE1, SOLD
'91 S Trooper - "Ghost" - L32, 3.4L V6, SOLD
'89 S Trooper - "Angry Bird" - 4ZE1, SOLD
'89 S Trooper - "Phantom" - 4ZE1, salvaged
'90 Pickup - "Uno" - 4ZD1, SOLD
kg4miq
Mud King

Have thanks: 61 times

Postby Von » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:00 am

I got all the stuff in for oil changes shortly after my last post. A couple of days later I had a spare 30 minutes so thought I'd change the oil on her car real quick. Only need to get under it to drain oil so I thought I'd just run it up some ramps in the front drive way.

I put the ramps in front of it and got in... ya know how, even if you're careful when placing the ramps, you still want to SEE the ramps and make sure you're lined up or don't go a little too far... So I put it in drive, left the door open and leaned out so I could see the front wheel... gave it some gas and it just revved up. wth? It was in Park. I know I put it in Drive... I put it in Drive, leaned out an gave it some gas... It was in Park. ....

Notice an error message telling me the door was open.. That's a No Go on the driving with a door open. The BMW says NEIN! NEIN!

Between the time it took to convince the car to let me drive it up the ramps and the time I spent studying the HUGE plastic panel that covers the COMPLETE underside of the car, I ran out of time to get anything done.
I couldn't get under it enough to see if there's an access point under the oil pan. Surely there is.... And if there isn't, there's a good possibility there WILL be..
We've only put about 2200 miles on it since they changed the oil. I'll get it on the lift after I get the youngest boy's POS S-10 off there and check that plastic panel out.

BUT... after I gave up and just drove up the ramps... ya know how usually when you're driving an automatic up ramps you gave to goose it a little? Maybe let it rock and time it so you don't spin the tires and then panic about overshooting? None of that crap was going on. Rear wheel drive, front tires on ramps, it just putted right up.

And the other day we were at some friends' house having dinner after I got off work. She met me there. It started pouring as we were getting ready to leave. She left a couple minutes before I did and I was worried sick. She does NOT handle hydroplaning well at all. It freaks her out and scares her to death... and that's when crap happens.

When I got home she was telling me it came down hard when she was on the highway.. POURING down. Now... she HATES cruise control and usually bounces around between 75 and 90 MPH (75 MPH zone), depending on what's on the radio. But we had both imbibed a little at dinner and she worried about getting pulled over. So she just set the cruise at 70 in the pouring down rain and cruised right on home. No hydroplaning, no wiggles, no jiggles, no prob.
Her old Maxima would have been all over the place.

I can't wait to see how it handles on ice.

I chewed her out about using cruise control in the rain.. and she said What!? I've never heard that....
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby N law » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:04 am

Von wrote:I chewed her out about using cruise control in the rain.. and she said What!? I've never heard that....

I was going to say! I've always heard not to do it!

Von wrote:I can't wait to see how it handles on ice.

Oh boy... this could get interesting!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby N law » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:04 am

Von wrote:I chewed her out about using cruise control in the rain.. and she said What!? I've never heard that....

99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:21 am

N law wrote:

... you can say that again!
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby Von » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:46 pm

Got Josh's POS put back together and out of the shop this morning.. viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90345

Then did this.
IMG_20161016_135829156.jpg

It was a little bit nerve racking... dang Germans. It's got plastic pads on the frame where they want you to do all jacking and lifting. The arms on my lift won't come in quite far enough. And cardboard or plastic covers over everything except the exhaust and rear axle so couldn't really see where everything is.
Ended up putting the front arm pads just in front of the jacking pads and the rear arms behind the back pads.

The cover underneath the engine doesn't go ALL the way back, just from the front bumper to the plastic cover hiding the transmission. There's a little door in it so you can get to the drain plug. ... I pulled the cover off anyway. Just curious.
IMG_20161016_140412515.jpg

Looked around a little bit then drained oil.
Plastic drain plug that goes in the plastic oil pan...
IMG_20161016_143119174.jpg

I don't like the oil filter being on top as much as I thought I would. I think Volvo and some Nissans have the same system. But I thought it might be cleaner, certainly easier to get to. But when I pulled the cap off there was still a bit of oil in it that spilled out and dripped onto the alternator. I'll put some rags down next time.
IMG_20161016_152824421.jpg

I need to triple check... already double checked.. but I don't think the silly thing has a dipstick. Changed the filter, put 5 quarts of 0w/40 in and started it up. Went to the engine info screen and asked it to check the oil level. It told me to make sure the car was level, warmed up and don't touch the gas. It revved the engine a little and a progress bar crept across the screen. Then it told me it had the correct amount of oil.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby gwana66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:55 am

It does not have a dipstick. The average BMW and Mercedes owner gets a new vehicle on lease every 2 years, and they do not expect to check their own oil. These manufacturers have now catered their vehicles and their lease programs accordingly. Thus the 15000 mile oil change intervals they had and the lack of user access to maintenance items. Since regular service is included in the lease, they figure the customer might bring the vehicle in once a year or when the light comes on. Two oil changes should get it through the lease period (at low cost to the manufacturer), and once they trade it in after 2 years the manufacturers really don't care what happens to it. They may pick the best of the crop to re-sell, most go out on wholesale and are never seen again. Many of the luxury makes are moving to this business model. Full of gadgets and trouble-free for two years or so, then pffft. The wonderful VVT and the electronic differential and all-plastic cooling system were designed by thoughtful German engineers who just assumed that everyone would of course do regular oil and coolant changes and scheduled maintenance because it's all in the manual. Instead the oil gets neglected and turns to sludge and before you know it you're looking at a timing chain through the new hole in the top of the engine...

Now, if you happen to be an owner who gives a crap and takes proper care of the car, then it will probably last a good long time. The average modern consumer does not. The average modern consumer with BMW money certainly does not, because they're not going to keep it.
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2003 Grille and headlight swap
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 194 times

Postby Von » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:53 am

Too true. Browsing around on bimmerpost looking for torque specs on the plug and cap I noticed that for every post/reply about changing the oil yourself, there were MANY replies saying Why? Just trade it in, don't worry about it. Sure, the engine will be toast but so what.
It's sad, really.
Hoping they really are as well built and designed as ze Germans think they are and that if we take care of it then it'll last many, many years.

Im used to vehicles like my truck... I can fix just about anything on it with judicious use of a BFH and a welder... I should have taken pics of the electric gear box on the steering rack. Skeered the pee out of me. Even more so later, after putting the cover back on, and I realized that where it was placed... it's possible there might not be a steering shaft at all.... Totally steer by wire. ?
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby N law » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:08 pm

My dad picked up a new (2015) mercedes big SUV the a few weeks back. I had seen it but not yet risen in it yet. I returned their '95 GMC box truck last night and he gave me a ride home in it. After having to limp the box truck home after the ignition system gave up from years of neglect, I crawl out of the 150 degree box truck (engine cowl removed to keep it running) and crawl into this plush mercedes. He starts going crazy over all of the stupid (my opinion) gadgets that it came with. He showed me the light up cup holders and if you push the cup holder button (!!!) it switches from an amber color to a blue color and begins cooling your drink. One more push and it turns to red and begins heating your coffee. I said "Neat" but what I really thought was I would hate to be caught with it when it breaks...

Then he tells me about how it will buzz and shake at you if you are drifting out of your lane or if someone is drifting into your lane. I guess Mercedes owners sleep while driving? He said its awesome, except for when you pass someone in a turn lane and then it thinks that they are an oncoming vehicle trying to hit you...

I'm sure all of that stuff is really nice and neat, especially if you suck at driving, but it scares the bejesus out of me to think about what happens if it breaks and, worse, if its something that affects steering or braking as you are moving!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby gwana66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:47 pm

Mercedes is famous for pioneering some very important safety features, but IMHO a lot of them have made people into worse drivers. "I have lane avoidance so I don't have to look when I merge. I have radar so if I don't pay attention while driving it'll brake for me." Scares the crap out of me and has since ABS first came out. Traction control and stability control only convince drivers that they can go faster than they should in poor conditions. Then they come up with gizmos like massaging seats and air conditioned steering wheels, so people can say "Look what I'VE got.."

As far as repairs go, some of them now have electronically controlled engine mounts. Did you know that if your BMW needs a new battery, you MUST take it to the dealer to have the computer reprogrammed or it may damage the new battery? They charge based on the capacity and age of the battery to improve MPG and engine performance by throttling alternator output. Or, particularly fun on some Mercedes, the battery is located underneath the passenger (electric) seat. If it goes dead, you can't move the seat to change it.
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2003 Grille and headlight swap
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 194 times

Postby N law » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:33 pm

gwana66 wrote:Or, particularly fun on some Mercedes, the battery is located underneath the passenger (electric) seat. If it goes dead, you can't move the seat to change it.

That reminds me of the time my wife and I were early in dating and I had borrowed my dads 03 Porsche. It died on us while we were at a store and I was going to replace the battery. Turns out the battery is in the front but the hood is electronic release. You had to get jumper cables and hook it up to a special terminal that popped out of the fuse block under the dash to activate the front hold before you could replace the battery. Kinda dumb, but I loved the Porsche more than any of them, so I didn't complain too much!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby itsmehb » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:50 pm

Totally steer by wire. ?

This will be kinda off topic. but the last few posts led me to post this. I was an aircraft mechanic my whole career. I started on DC-3's which are so basic. Didn't even have AC. Operated with DC for electricity and cables for all control functions. When I retired aircraft had progressed to fly by wire, first with the power levers, then the flight systems. We old school mechanics said it will never work. Our reasoning was an engine fire would burn up all the wiring and power lever control would be lost. It still unnerves me to fly, knowing there's a computer somewhere telling the flight controls what the pilot wants and this is accomplished totally by wire, and damn it works. And now cars are copying that.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 196 times

Postby Von » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:57 am

gwana66 wrote:As far as repairs go, some of them now have electronically controlled engine mounts. Did you know that if your BMW needs a new battery, you MUST take it to the dealer to have the computer reprogrammed or it may damage the new battery? They charge based on the capacity and age of the battery to improve MPG and engine performance by throttling alternator output.

ugh. I probably have some time on that... but battery problems always sneak up when you least expect them. I'll try to research that. Too bad there's no decent forums for the F30... All I'l find on the net is "just trade it in" and YouTube videos on how to open the bonnet.

I need to stop by Laslo's shop and pick his brain. Need to talk to him anyway... It still bothers my wife that it doesn't have a panic button. She's lost the car a couple of times in parking lots and when we went to the Ranger's game we spent some time searching for it. I've been looking an can't find ANYONE that makes a plug and play alarm system for the F30. And I'm for sure not letting anyone cut into the harness, the computer is tied into EVERYTHING.
BUT, she doesn't really car about an alarm, just a panic button. .. so... I'm thinking I could get a Klein remote air horn controller and a cheap horn to mount under the car.
https://www.amazon.com/Kleinn-Automotiv ... B00PBWG0BU

itsmehb wrote:Totally steer by wire. ?

This will be kinda off topic. but the last few posts led me to post this. I was an aircraft mechanic my whole career. I started on DC-3's which are so basic. Didn't even have AC. Operated with DC for electricity and cables for all control functions. When I retired aircraft had progressed to fly by wire, first with the power levers, then the flight systems. We old school mechanics said it will never work. Our reasoning was an engine fire would burn up all the wiring and power lever control would be lost. It still unnerves me to fly, knowing there's a computer somewhere telling the flight controls what the pilot wants and this is accomplished totally by wire, and damn it works. And now cars are copying that.

I remember a couple of years ago there was a post about Ford pickups having trouble with their fly by wire accelerators or something.

The concept itself... and all this techno crap really.. doesn't bother me. It's knowing that no matter how well it's designed, if the manufacturer uses cheap parts there will be failures. And even if they use quality parts, they fail eventually too.
Von
Expedition Ready

Previous

Return to General Chit Chat