#1 ·
#2 ·
I'll keep my 91, thank you.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

#3 ·
imamonstertruck said:
Yea, no danger of being hacked since that bad boy doesn't even have OBD2. Since it is a 5 speed, they probably couldn't drive it off even if you gave them the keys.

#5 ·
I heard that on the radio today after hearing about the Samsung TVs with voice recognition that upload everything it hears to Samsung and another 3rd party company that Samsung won't name.

#6 ·
Von said:
I heard that on the radio today after hearing about the Samsung TVs with voice recognition that upload everything it hears to Samsung and another 3rd party company that Samsung won't name.
I had read that too.. There will be a day when we will no choice but to sell our thoughts, freedom and our souls.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

#8 ·
Ruination said:
This is such bull****.. what this is here, is a case of honest thieves.. Since when are the glass windows unbreakable that they have to wirelessly hack into your car to unlock them anymore.
This is not simply a matter of thieves just opening a door to steal a car. The issue is the havoc that the hackers can cause by taking over the car's computer. During the "test" the white hats were able to disable the brakes, probably because the ABS is computer controlled. Now extrapolate this to some of the new features such as automatic braking and blind spot detection and you can begin to see the damage this can cause. Remember also that firms are working on driverless computer controlled technology so it is probably a good idea to deal with this issue now.

#9 ·
Hack said:
Ruination said:
This is such bull****.. what this is here, is a case of honest thieves.. Since when are the glass windows unbreakable that they have to wirelessly hack into your car to unlock them anymore.
This is not simply a matter of thieves just opening a door to steal a car. The issue is the havoc that the hackers can cause by taking over the car's computer. During the "test" the white hats were able to disable the brakes, probably because the ABS is computer controlled. Now extrapolate this to some of the new features such as automatic braking and blind spot detection and you can begin to see the damage this can cause. Remember also that firms are working on driverless computer controlled technology so it is probably a good idea to deal with this issue now.
Some spooky stuff. Self driving cars in 5 years they say. Heard some guys on the radio saying that'd be awesome... get in, tell it where you want to go and take a nap. I couldn't do it. I'd be a nervous wreck, hands hovering over the controls. Waiting for a wacko to take random cars over and send them off a bridge.. or a bad ground in the plastic car to screw the computer and send it veering into oncoming traffic or lock the brakes up on the freeway...

How long after they come out before it's illegal to drive your car in manual mode? And how long until they decide the cars should be controlled from "the cloud" for better traffic control? How do us dinosaurs that want to drive our old junkers fit into that scenario? Limit us to specific roads, Chips in our cars so "the cloud" can track us? ... crush the jalopies?

I think I'll just get away from the computer for a while and go mess with the truck...

#10 ·
Hack said:
imamonstertruck said:
Yea, no danger of being hacked since that bad boy doesn't even have OBD2. Since it is a 5 speed, they probably couldn't drive it off even if you gave them the keys.
Woman got carjacked here locally and the carjacker fled when he couldn't drive the stick shift.

#11 ·
Darby said:
Hack said:
imamonstertruck said:
Woman got carjacked here locally and the carjacker fled when he couldn't drive the stick shift.
Had a similar problem down here a few years back. Thieves would break into houses. You'd be surprised how many people just leave their car keys on the kitchen counter. The crooks would take the car keys (often a wallet or purse was there and taken as well), and steal the car. It happened to my friend. They found the keys in his car out front. It was a stick and they couldn't drive it. Still didn't get his wallet back though. Dennis

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.