The heavy part of my job ....

Use this forum to post about something that doesn't fit in any other topic (ex: link to the picture of the Toyota in a sink-hole)

Moderator: Staff

Re: The heavy part of my job ....

Postby Von » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:35 am

hee hee... retarder setup. I think they have something like that up in the front offices where I work.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 34 times

Sponsor

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:50 am

Haha !! That happens at work all to offen ..

Started out like this

By the end of the day it was getting close

The spacing and access to the trany bolts (bell housing sorta) are in a terrible position , air tank on the passenger side along with the fuel tank and exhaust make for choice words and a trip to the bathroom to grab a q tip to wipe the chunks of dirt out of my eyeballs ... I called it a night , I was disgusted at that point and tired ... I might end up pulling the head just to get room back there ... Kinda like isuzus , you just keep pulling parts off till nothins left :)
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 369 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:55 am

Oh if you look close at the intake elbo in the last two pics you'll notice how black the inside is , well that's soot from the engine running backwards , it's actually exhaust build up .. Gives an idea just how long the dumbass ran the truck till he figured it out and shut it off...

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby Von » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:21 am

Running backwards... I didn't know that was possible. ...

Last pic.. what's up with the tool box in the back ground?!
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby N law » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:19 am

Von wrote:Last pic.. what's up with the tool box in the back ground?!

Looks like something this guy built! :lol: :blackeye:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=86256&p=761656&hilit=cabinet#p761656
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 02, 2016 12:02 pm

The tool box, ha !! So funny you caught that , another friend of mine saw it too.. It's just one that the slider rails sheared off so it's worthless (came out of cargo van)

As far as running backwards , it can happen , although when the pretty chrome air cleaners start belching out black stuff and all the alarms are going off (with lights) in the cab it's a very strong indication that somethings drastically wrong ... My thoughts anyway ...

After I get done running out to the jobs I'll see if I can muster up the ingenuity to break loose the wrest of the bolts , still scratching my head of the one that's to high to access from the bottom and difficult from the top , this middle ground stuff ain't always ideal :)

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby Von » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:30 pm

N law wrote:
Von wrote:Last pic.. what's up with the tool box in the back ground?!

Looks like something this guy built! :lol: :blackeye:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=86256&p=761656&hilit=cabinet#p761656

LOL!! I started to say it looked like either I built it or one of the boys had been using it.

bradzuzu wrote: still scratching my head of the one that's to high to access from the bottom and difficult from the top , this middle ground stuff ain't always ideal :)

Hole saw to the firewall... TA-DA!!!
yes, I'm a helper.

On the M715 stock engine there's a rubber oil line going from a tee on the oil pressure sensor to the back of the head.. to supply oil to the overhead cam. The civvy Gladiators had a steel line but the military engines had a rubber line... totally stupid. But a lot of the guys at the Zone have found holes cut in the firewalls for easier access to those lines.
Von
Expedition Ready

Postby DSUZU » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:23 am

Von wrote:Running backwards... I didn't know that was possible.

It's a diesel. All it cares is that it sucks air in from somewhere, compresses it, and squirts fuel into the hot, compressed air to ignite it, then expel the waste out. They don't run as well backwards, but they will (some of them) run backwards for a short while. Most 2 cycle engines are the same way, and some 2 cycle golf carts even started the engine backwards for the reverse feature. Likewise, some older marine diesel engines were designed to run backwards for backing the boat. Don't know completely how this was done, but I believe it involved some kind of valve train shifting. Dennis
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 619 times

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:02 am

I thought I was a little more up to date with what was going on with the truck

This was in the middle of pulling stuff off and stripping it down , man that is a heavy pig of a motor !!

My cool gear cluster pic !!

The head ended up being in really good condition , the diesel place tried selling me a remand head for $1100 I strongly suggested they pull the valves and check the seats and guides , good thing I did the price ended up costing $450 instead ...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:24 am

I was very curious as to how badly the crank was torn up , I loosened up all the main caps just so I would be able to turn the crank to get the Pistons and rods out , it was still really difficult ..

I thought I took a close up of the bad rod :(

As the parts accumulated I had to keep everything as organized as possible , I used a bunch of cups (paper cups) when the bolts fit and set them with the particular section of stuff I pulled off ... Needless to say each side of the dump truck is lined with left side and right side items that where removed from the engine .. That tool box got out to use too !! I set it next to the truck to set the valve train components on :)

The main journals weren't horribly torn up , I almost think the crank wrapped a little bit , maybe when I was trying to see if it would break loose out at the job , don't know really ... I took it down to the diesel shop hoping that they would be able to save it for a core rebuilder but they said it had been tempered ... Not sure if I believe that or not but oh well..

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:38 am

I wonder just how big this motor would be :albino:

After stripping the block down I washed it , then pulled the rest of the pieces I cleaned it some more ... Then I scraped off all the gasket chunks and removed the cylinder liners and cleaned some more I did one more final wash ... Guess you could eat off it if you felt the desire haha !!

I got the new liners put in yesterday

I had to trade out the liners for a set with a wide band seal instead of three regular o ring seals on the lower section , it comes in handy if the block has pitting in that sealing area (water/coolant can leak into the crank case eventually) ..

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:53 am

I was able to get the crank set in yesterday , waited till this morning to do the torquing ...

The book says torque to 190 ft lbs +\- 10 , and then do a 120* rotation ... My big torque wrench goes up to 330 ft lbs ish so I tested the initial 190 and then cranked it up to see how much of that rotation I could get , well that gained maybe a 1/4 rotation so 45*'s ... I made my paint marks so I'd be able to tell how far I had rotated the heads of the bolts , by the time I got them to that full 120* rotation I was climbing up towards 475-500 ft lbs of torque , talk about row row row your boat !!

I could feel it in my back tonight :|

I'll leave you guys with this picture

It's part of the brake saver (motor oil drivin torque converter) setup that aid's in slowing the motor down along with the jake brakes ... I'm almost to the downhill curve but not quite ...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby itsmehb » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:55 am

I was climbing up towards 475-500 ft lbs of torque , talk about row row row your boat !!

Damn Brad,
What an undertaking. Hope you have some huge tools. I remember the initial torque to seat the bearings on 767 wheel change was 600 ft lbs. We had a huge torque wrench at least 4 to 5 feet long. Can't remember if it was 3/4 or 1 inch drive.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 201 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:16 pm

Yeah reaching that high of a torque yield is a job !! After three sets of main caps I was beginning to sweat :)

The rods where the same thing , torque to 60 ft lbs and then do a 120* rotation , I really don't like that because sometimes it over torques the bolts ... I did the initial 60 and then started cranking up my torque wrench , I had to set it at 175 ft lbs to get that rotation but I felt better knowing that all the bolts where equal instead of over stretched and or under torqued...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby DASZU » Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:43 pm

The Big Cam 4 in my tow truck is gonna look like that very soon :(
Was cruising with a truck in tow, lost oil pressure, driver headed for the shoulder and it locked up on its way there
89 Amigo 2.6 4x4, its been on a few wheeling trips viewtopic.php?t=42702
09 Ford F250 6.8L V10 4x4- The tow pig
90 Ford Bronco 302 5 speed, the next wheeling toy :twisted:
DASZU
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 5 times

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:34 am

That sucks , seems to be the in thing this year :shock: I know this engine was put through some extra abuse and this last little dilemma killed it good ...

Now to do a little cach up !!

Here's a sequence of pictures of the engine retarder (aka brake saver) , there's another oil pump just for this system and it acts somewhat like a torque converter using engine oil to create friction against the spinning center hub.. The diaphragm was torn up so that's why it wasn't working efficiently for the past year ... I always dreaded tearing into this system to do any work like the clutch or internal work , figured it would be a royal pain ...

Nite my hand has a nice raw spot , I whacked it driving in the cam bearings with a baby sledge .. Made a great big lump and gave me a reason to quit for the day ... I lucked out and the next day , it wasn't swollen with the big knot surprisingly ..!!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby Ed Mc. » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:52 am

DSUZU wrote:
Von wrote:Running backwards... I didn't know that was possible.
Most 2 cycle engines are the same way, and some 2 cycle golf carts even started the engine backwards for the reverse feature. Likewise, some older marine diesel engines were designed to run backwards for backing the boat. Don't know completely how this was done, but I believe it involved some kind of valve train shifting. Dennis

In the late 50's and early 60's Mercury built a number of Direct Reversing 2-stroke, 6-cylinder ouboards in 60hp, 70hp, and 80hp flavors.

They actually reversed the timing so the engine would run backwards for Reverse, by shifting the distributor in the opposite direction and having a very ingenious distributor drive assembly that allowed the rotor to "float" against the distributor drive in either direction, enhancing the timing shift.

I had one of the 70hp models years ago, and although a bit strange to have no Neutral, when tuned properly you'd just push the starter button and she'd roar to life and take off smartly.

As you can imagine, in the hands of inexperienced boaters (or in poor tune), these motors became known as "Dockbusters", "Dockwreckers", "Dockcrashers". I never crashed into any docks, mine was tuned properly!! :twisted:

The small-displacement (66 cubic inches) Merc Inline Sixes had their own distinctive sound, idled really nice and were generally sweet runners. So much for the history lesson, back to the Big Equipment!!
'90 3.4 Troop LS;
'89 Troop RS (Exhaust Valve Challenged), now gone to a Good Home!
Yes, I am a Trooper-Holic!!!
Keep On Troopin' !
Ed Mc.
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 205 times

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:02 am

Part two

Getting ready to put it back together , tons of bolts !!

The starter ring gear bolts up to one side and then you mount the assembly into the normal bell housing and then put on the clutch flywheel section , no teeth just a smooth flat plate , the clutch on the other hand is bigger and deeper to except the two clutch discs and center stationary plate so not much of a win win.. That'll come later when the engines ready to install ..

It was time to start working on the front section of the engine and get the Pistons put in ...

Just getting the Pistons in took half the day because I had to clean and inspect the wrist pin bores and get the rings on the Pistons and figure out the best plan of attack ...

The book once again called for a 60 ftlb torque and a 120* rotation , this time at least I had room to adjust my torque wrench , it ended up working out to 175 ft lbs and felt nice and snug ... I didn't get any pictures of the piston install because it's so messy and I didn't want to get my phone yucked up , that and I'm pressed to get this thing done ...

Another section of the front cover assembly , this holds an idler gear that runs the compressor and injector pump ... Believe it or not these engines have two gears stacked that run between the crank and cam and just like the late model Isuzu engines 3.2's & 3.5's I had to spin he old crank several times before the ting marks lined up !! I was very surprised to see that but at the same time I had delt with it already so I wasn't like wth ... Kind of a cool unique thing ..

Next up is getting all this cleaned up and inspect the oil pump

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby itsmehb » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:56 am

Brad,
When I was a kid my best friends dad had his own tractor. It was probably a Mack. Thing I do remember was he was rebuilding the engine and the engine was so long the head was split in two. Each one covering 3 cylinders. That one your rebuilding looks like it has a one piece head. That's one long engine.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 201 times

Postby N law » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:50 am

This is so cool to watch!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 62 times

Postby DSUZU » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:15 pm

Did you have any problem with pistons trying to push the sleeves back out, or are they somewhat pressed in? Dennis
P.S. waiting on a similiar clutch for one of our sanitation tractors (semi). Much more fun to order than to install :D
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 619 times

Postby bradzuzu » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:15 pm

Itsmehb on these particular engines (old cats) the heads are one piece and yes very large and heavy !! I think quite a few of the later model engines went to a on piece aluminum dual cam head :shock:

Thanks In law it's been a strenuous but enjoyable project !!

Dennis I was indeed worried about the liners pushing back up , thankfully they didn't budged .. They came out way harder than they went in too.. To get them out I set a sugared 1" think block of steel on the bottom of the liner when the block was stripped and then dug out an old pin that was 4" diameter by 3' long , pretty much just lifted it up and let it drop and by the third thump they popped down :)

When I installed them it was almost a press in by hand hence yeah I wasn't sure if they'd scoot up and out... Installation instructions where as follows (plus the two end sleeves on each end had a shim I had to reuse and not mess up) (block was machined for some reason) ... Anyway what it calls for is installation of the three lower O rings followed by the small top end rubber ring that must get dipped in oil (at that point it's do or die because it swells to seal) the lower water jacked O rings require dish soap so you can imagine my hands where pretty slimy mixing the two , mostly I'd do the soap on the O rings then the block , wipe , oil the top rubber ring , slip it over and down (make sure it's lumpy side out) and seated in its groove , flip heavy slippery conglomerated cylinder sleeve and carefully drop it down into the bore and for the most part only struggle with the last 3/8" , dead blow took care of that ... I did say slimy mess so I did have to wipe it off before it slipped out of my hand and hit my head or something in the general swing zone ...

I'll post some pics now of the progress !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:21 pm

Here's somewhat a pic of the oil pump , I was in a hurry to get part numbers and check on parts

I am getting a bit tired of cleaning :)

All that stinking piping to the oil pump , so much !! I pulled it all and got dumped on before pulling the engine , so much easier doing it this way ... I gotta download the rest , I'll be back !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:13 am

Pictures continued

The bolt in the above pic threads into the flywheel and that's how the injector pump timing is set , the smaller Cummins engines have a plastic pin the pushes into the back side of the timing cover and locks into a divot of the cam gear , both pumps have a pin that drops into the housing that locks them in place then they're static timed ... I prefer the ones that have a key way or an alignment notch , I guess if the engines clean and you know where the spots are then all is well ...

All the plumbing put on and painted !!

Then it wa time for the truck prep

The transmission bell housing was utterly disgusting , so much goo !!

The pilot bearing went bad in the flywheel which in these things puts allot of stress on the shaft , and it was messed up..

The pilot bearing :)

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:34 am

The clutch throw out bearing pieces , they took some scrubbing too ..

Along with the trany work I had to replace the motor mounts

Not much left of the poor things but can you blame them ..

If you look up at the clutch parts picture you can see the nice new Polly bushings :)

I started getting the water pump put on , so much cleaning to all those pieces good grief !!

I got the motor tipped up , spun and set back down for the final bits

I dumped oil into the pickup tubes and as you can see its dribbling right back out :x

I'm going to put the head on once the engines in , I'm hoping I'll be able to get to the bell housing bolts easier and the less mass and weight will hopefully help to get the clutch lined up , we shall see...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit Chat