The heavy part of my job ....

Use this forum to post about something that doesn't fit in any other topic (ex: link to the picture of the Toyota in a sink-hole)

Moderator: Staff

Re: The heavy part of my job ....

Postby DSUZU » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:56 pm

Been a while since I updated on the fire truck. Still waiting on something, but he did have it running. I believe they are getting the original voltage regulator rebuilt with updated components inside. I took a few pictures of the driver side of the engine. I think folks will find the "accessory" drive interesting. Dennis
old fire truck pics 001.JPG
old fire truck pics 002.JPG
old fire truck pics 003.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 594 times

Sponsor

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:53 am

That sure is a neat old truck !! Down at my auto parts store they have an old ford model T coil , you know the ones in the little wooden box !! I guess one coil per cylinder , so cool to see that kind of stuff ...

Things finally slowed down enough for me to pull my service truck into the shop , trany issues , third gear bounces the gear shift and fourth gear is eating up the cynchro (have had to double clutch it to keep it from grinding) ...
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 360 times

Postby DSUZU » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:52 pm

So here's another "work related" pic with a tip for all of us.
planet pictures 001.JPG

This was a $200-$300K garbage truck. Garbage attracts...Rats. One rat decided he needed a bit more "fiber" in his diet and gnawed at the wiring. Unfortunately, he chose a direct circuit causing the cable to short and the truck to flame. I looked carefully, but didn't see any rat bones, so he got away. Have seen many vehicles with rat damage over the years.
Moral of the story: If you add an electrical option or circuit, add a fuse as close to the battery or original wiring you tap into as possible. In the past, we had other trucks cooked from electrical add ons (cab fans) before they made a rule to add fuses to any electrical modifications. Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby gwana66 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:57 am

That'll buff right out...

Seriously, reminds me of this weekend, when I was doing some work in the garage. I wanted to add a circuit to my electrical panel for a dedicated outlet, so I threw the main to shut off power. Box is safe, right? The bare ground wire I was fishing through for my new outlet came in contact with the bare live and the neutral where they came into the main breaker - while I was holding it. Luckily the current all went to the dead short and I was treated to arc blindness and ozone, followed by a shorts check. Off is only off AFTER the switch, dummy. Just for the record, 12 GA wire will not carry 200 amps. Not for long, anyway.
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2003 Grille and headlight swap
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 191 times

Postby itsmehb » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:43 am

Glad all's well after that experience. Last year I had a lightning strike that wiped out many breakers. Insurance paid for a new breaker box. I thought pulling the meter would be safety enough, but the electricians putting in the box had the electric company disconnect power to the house completely. Can't be safe enough. And what a loss for the city. Wonder how they'll write that off.
1990 Amigo, 2.3 5 speed (sold)
1991 Pick up (long gone)
2000 Amigo, 2.2 5 speed(sold)
1985 Trooper 1.9 4 speed (sent back to KS)
1989 Trooper RS 2.6 5 spd. Red

We get too soon old and too late smart!
itsmehb
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 190 times

Postby DSUZU » Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:32 pm

They have a "rainy day" fund for stuff like that. We recently went to mandatory recycling (you don't have to recycle, but you DO have to pay like an extra 5.00 per month for recycling). They bought a bunch of new special recycling trucks, hired drivers, spend a WAD. Then the cry went out that the recycle trucks wouldn't fit down certain alleys. They "found" money for (I think) 4 more new trucks. Now these aren't automated trucks like the fryer, but they are still expensive. Dennis
P.S. Gwana - glad you're okay, that could have ended very badly. Can't be too careful with electricity. D.

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:47 am

That thing burned to the ground practically wow !!

I just wired in a sub panel out in the garage so I could eleminate the junk wiring up in the attic (aluminum tied to copper in a not so safe box) it turned out nice and clean and now the dryer and water heater are safely wired into the new panel out in the garage , I also added a couple 20amp 110 outlets for the small welder which worked great !!

I've been working on the bobcat last few days , since it has an Isuzu engine in it I'm curious if those little Japanese characters designed this thing too , it's so frustrating to crawl into !!!

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:14 am

And then you have "dumber than stupid". We have one "mechanic", he is universally known as "the idiot" (and other unprintable names). Last week he had ordered a replacement driveshaft for a John Deere Gator (utility scooter). This is a 2 piece shaft that connects the FWD and the RWD. It is a solid 2 piece shaft w a carrier bearing and a CV joint in the middle. There is a long section and a short section. "Idiot" picks up the long box the shaft came in. He brigs it back a few minutes later "This isn't the right shaft. Mine has a short section" he says as he pulls the long section partly out of the box. The other parts person pulls the whole shaft out of the box (exposing both halves) and says "Try turning it over". :roll: Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby chuffer » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Hey Brad and Dennis.

I have a problem with our little Hyster s50xl forklift and am too cheap to pay a service guy to come out an fix it. So, I am gonna try and fix it myself.

When the main mast cylinder hits max extension, I hear a air leak noise from the main seal and then fluid starts leaking out of that seal. It leaks and pours fluid till I lower the forks a little then it stops. When that cylinder is not maxed out even with a heavy load, it doesn't leak. When that cylinder has no load on it (disconnected from the mast) and I max it out, it does not leak.

I assume / hope that it is just the seal right behind the big old gland-nut at the end of the cylinder. Does that sound right? If so, how do I get to that seal? Do I just pull of the "clevis" on the end of the ram and use a spanner to take off the gland-nut? Is this thing gonna fly open when I pop that gland-nut off? I am pretty sure there is no pressure on the ram, because when I open the valve (push the up-down lever to the "down" position), I can raise of the lower the ram by hand...

I prolly should just have someone do this for me, but then I wouldn't get to really make a mess...
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 106 times

Postby DSUZU » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:28 pm

I doubt it is just the seal causing the "leak". If it doesn't leak under same conditions when not at full extension, I'd lean towards something being wrong with the very bottom of the ram. If it's like the picture, you might get away with just tightening the packing nut. Apparently, you've already had the top of the cylinder disconnected from the mast so my biggest concern (for your safety) is taken care of. Many forklifts can present a very dangerous situation when working on the mast cylinder (early on, I could have had this happen but I stepped back and thoroughly looked at the situation and realized the lift would have come down on me)
If the cylinder is at it's "resting" position (not lifting anything, and bottom of it's stroke), there should be no pressure and no spring force. Forklift cylinders are typically powered up and gravity down. Still, use all caution. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby gwana66 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:46 pm

DSUZU wrote:And then you have "dumber than stupid". We have one "mechanic", he is universally known as "the idiot" (and other unprintable names). Last week he had ordered a replacement driveshaft for a John Deere Gator (utility scooter). This is a 2 piece shaft that connects the FWD and the RWD. It is a solid 2 piece shaft w a carrier bearing and a CV joint in the middle. There is a long section and a short section. "Idiot" picks up the long box the shaft came in. He brigs it back a few minutes later "This isn't the right shaft. Mine has a short section" he says as he pulls the long section partly out of the box. The other parts person pulls the whole shaft out of the box (exposing both halves) and says "Try turning it over". :roll: Dennis

I work in electronics repair. We had a technician who didn't understand electricity or how to test a fuse. He once told a customer that her device took a long time to power up because the electricity needed a long time to get through her surge protector from the wall outlet. (It was a failed capacitor) It was always fun trying to do phone support with that tech. Is it plugged in? "Yeah" Is it plugged in on both ends? "Oh." <click>
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2003 Grille and headlight swap
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 191 times

Postby chuffer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:00 am

Thanks, Dennis.

Yup, I read all sorts of stuff about how dangerous disconnecting the mast could be. On this model in order to remove the cylinder from the truck completely out, I would have to raise the mast, block it off and then pull the cylinder out below the mast. To just check the packing at the gland nut and hopefully to pull the ram & piston, I can lower the mast fully to access the cylinder. That make sense?

This cylinder is one of the ones where there is only a pressure inlet/outlet on one end - in this case the bottom. "Single Acting" I think is what they're called. With that in mind it seems like I have fluid on the wrong side of the piston and this is getting pushed past the wipe on the gland nut. Fluid should be pushing on the bottom of the piston to raise the shaft. On top of the piston I think there should just be air, right? I think this is what you are saying...

Is the seal between the cylinder-wall and the shaft-piston big fat o-rings like in a coil over shock? If that is the case, I should just be able to pull the whole shaft-piston assembly out of the cylinder and then replace the o-rings, right?
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:45 am

How many cylinders are there ? Sounds like the second to the last gland is bleeding by which puts fluid into the next gland , that pushes air until it gets to the fluids and then leaks ... telescopic cylinders can be a pain ... or it's just getting worn and sucking air in as the fluid gravity feeds back to the tank and then when pressurized pushes the air back out ... same but different ... you have to pull the rods out to be able to rebuild the packing and piston , a telescopic is all in one...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby chuffer » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:48 am

The main cylinder on the mast does not telescope. It looks really simple...just big and heavy (from my perspective). The "second stage" of the mast uses two additional cylinders on the sides.
chuffer
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:46 pm

That'll be easier to rebuild then ...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Previous

Return to General Chit Chat