The heavy part of my job ....

Use this forum to post about something that doesn't fit in any other topic (ex: link to the picture of the Toyota in a sink-hole)

Moderator: Staff

Re: The heavy part of my job ....

Postby DSUZU » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:29 pm

Every now and then we get something really "outside of the box" and usually interesting. Last week we got a parts request from the car shop for a harmonic balancer for a... 1961 Ford truck with a V-8 "Y" block (don't remember the exact size, but it was bigger than a 312). Turned out it was a drug seizure. Don't try to sell drugs out of your classic car (or truck). Over the years, they have seized many classics (bought with drug money).
Friday, a slide bed showed up with this 1927 Fire Truck. Turns out it belongs to a neighboring city. We often do work for the smaller cities that lack the shops, equipment, or expertise to do their own work. This one has it's original flat head six, and is used for parades and special promotions. It currently does not run, but it does have a coolant / oil leak. They wanted us to put a V-8 in it. Saturday, I was looking at it and talking with the supervisor who will most likely do the work (to keep costs down). We both agreed NIX on the V-8 conversion, We'll fix the six. If I have time, I'm invited to pitch in with the work (on my own time - what's that?)
You'll notice the dual plugs for each cylinder. It has dual ignition. Many older, large displacement engines had dual ignitions to enable the ignition to fire ALL of the fuel air mix. This one has a magneto to start with, then a battery ignition once it is running.
1927 fire truck 001.JPG
1927 fire truck 003.JPG
1927 fire truck 004.JPG
Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1991 LS Trooper 2.8 V6 5 speed conversion (Sold)
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=64060

The American dream is getting farther and farther away from the American.

If your wife has 5.00, and you have 20.00, your wife has...25.00

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."

For this post the author DSUZU was thanked by:
bradzuzu
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 624 times

Sponsor

Postby N law » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:35 pm

The fire truck is awesome! I agree to keep it original! Our local station, the one that showed up when I "found" the gas line in the front yard, houses the antique parade vehicles. I'm not sure that they still run but you can see them through the glass doors when driving by. I took a trip down to treasure island a few years back and had a really good time. We stayed at the thunderbird motor lodge, which was pretty cool for a retro vibe. The only rule I remember was not to cross any bridges with an open container!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
1999 4Runner Limitee- wife's
2004 Genuine Stella Scooter
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 63 times

Postby Von » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:16 am

That's cool! Way cooler original too.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:07 pm

I figured that was part of a dual safety for an emergency vehicle ... something as old as that I wouldn't have it any other way but to keep it original ... I like the picture with you on it Dennis that's to cool !!

Is that one a chain drive ?
91 amigo sas toy front leaf- traded off :(
2000 amigo sas d44 wagonear 4 link
custom built buggy ffor the dirty stuff

My build up page
Four link pics
Intake R&R - port and polish

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 375 times

Postby DSUZU » Sun Nov 06, 2016 8:47 am

I need to take some more pictures. he did get it running, but found some electrical issues, the spark advance linkage missing (some old vehicles had a manually controlled spark advance) and charging problems. The generator is shaft driven rather than belt driven, Dennis
1989 LS Spacecab 2.6 5 speed 4x4 manual hubs, Rodeo torsion bars, extended shackles, 2" lift, K&N airfilter (drop in), dump bed conversion, burgundy interior change, warn brush bar.
Previously owned: 1987 Trooper II LS, 1989 Trooper (parts only), 1994 Trooper 3.2 Auto, 1997 Rodeo 2.6 5 speed, 1993 shortbed pickup 2.3 (project - sold) 1992 Rodeo 4x4 LS (parts car, devoured by Spacecab needs) plus some 70 plus other non Isuzu vehicles over the years.

"Water is one of the greatest essentials of life. Without water, you can't make coffee."
DSUZU
I am the Stig

Postby bradzuzu » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:41 pm

I've been so busy working on this truck ugg !!

I'll start where I left off..

When I went to slip the engine in I had an alignment issue with the clutch and input shaft , luckily I was able to unbolt the front crossmember (motor mount assembly) and get the motor to drop down just enough to plug back into the transmission..

I also opted to put the head on after the install which did make getting to the bellhousing bolts quite a bit easier ...
It still fought me the last inch or so like most transmission installs ,it finally gave in and slid together !!

Next up was the head install

To be continued !!

My build up page
Four link pics

Sometimes trying is all you can do, but when you succeed , that's something to be proud of...
bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:24 am

If you look back up in the previous pictures you'll notice the head sitting all packaged up under the front of the truck , it sat there for a week while I finished up the engine and dropped it in ...

Here's the head after the third time of taking it down to get it worked on ... So little did I know that while it was sitting there it was corroding up .. I pulled it out of the wrapping and first off noticed it was still dirty , as I was cleaning it up I went to blow air down the intake ports and when I got to number three cylinder water came boiling back out , at that point I stopped cleaning and lifted it up onto its side , To my surprise (not) all could see was rusted spots where water leaked past all of the valves and soaked the cardboard that it was sitting on so the head got all rusted up too... I loaded it up and took it down to the shop that just supposedly rebuilt it ... To back up to the begging , I dropped the head off and the guy called me asking what all I wanted done , at first he tried to sell me a remand head for $1100 , I mentioned that the truck was running fine and it would be worth pulling a few valves and checking the guides and stuff ... Easy enough right , well he called back and said in his surprise that it looked great , I kinda figured and hoped that would be the case...

Cost was $450 , surfaced , vacuum test , I figured a quick cleaning and such ... Now back to finding the water and rusted mess , I dropped it off and talked to one of the guys , there excuse ?? Lack of communication between whomever , I was not happy ... next day they called and said it was ready to pick up ... brought it back , opened it up to see that the buffed the rust off , I pulled an intake valve because I was very skeptical of there work at this point , port and valve looked filthy , I pulled an exhaust spring and retainer but when I pushed on the valve it was stuck (seized from rust) didn't take much to break it loose but I could see faint rust streaks and water sign "still!!" ... I called them again and threw it back together and loaded it up , I took it back down even though it was late in the day , the guy promised he would stand over the guys shoulder and watch him pull each valve out and clean them ... I was so irritated , frustrated , pissed off and offended that I just left ... This has taken up almost a whole weeks worth of time now , can you guess what happened the next day :)

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:49 am

Next day !!

Yes they called , again,,, and said to my disbelief that it was ready to go ... After getting it back to the shop I immediately hoisted it up onto it's side and began pulling a few valves , they still looked like crap ... I was so done waisting my time with the place so I just went down to my auto parts place and let home look at the valves real quick , instead of looking at them he tossed them into the valve grinder , didn't take much but now I was committed !! I ran up and quickly pulled the rest of the valves to get ground , in my opinion they did need it and with a brand new bottom end it would be foolish not to have a brand new top end ... As he was running the valves through he stops and says "oh bent valve" , it was an exhaust valve ...

He found one more bent exhaust valve , had to of come from number two cylinder since that's the one that let loose and the piston kissed them ( I mentioned that to the rebuild place , didn't get me much though did it), I ordered two new ones and picked them up the following morning ...

Back to the cleaning part , mind you this is after the rebuild place had my head in there shop three fricken times !!

I no sooner squirted degreaser into the ports and black ooz stared coming out , I had to steam clean the head at two different angles just to get it washed but finally I had a nice clean ready to assemble head ... I also lapped all the valves into the seats , no point in just re grinding the valves and not doing the other half ...

So a week later I was where I should've been the previous Monday ,sad thing is the diesel place is usually highly reputable but not when it comes to head that didn't need much (I'm still to disgusted to talk to them about what I had to do to the head) ...

Back on track !!

This is a spacer plate that goes between the cylinder head and block , so much cleaning involved with this stuff !!

All paintedup and ready to install !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:58 am

In the process

Sitting on the block finally

Going through the steps to get the headbolts put in and torqued

The stack up and Jake brake installation

Finally an engine with valve covers !!

And intake

Like most engines this is as good as it gets because from here on out you start covering up all the pretty painted up parts

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:21 am

Like I said , covering up the shiny

I had to rebuild the fan clutch

I never could figure out how the fan could not spin while the engine was running , two sets of bearings and a solid shaft

I was on a role and getting ever so close to starting it up for the first time !! Don't ask me why but for some reason (punishment I guess) I had a hell of a time getting the injector pump to prime , so much so that the starter I reused decided to click click click never to crank it over again until I replaced it too ... Next day :) ,,, I wrestled that sob out once again and replaced it ... I still had a hell of a time getting the injector pump to prime up , I had it slightly firing on one cylinder with the old starter but when it decided to take a dump I had to start over with the new one , it took a days worth of piddling with it to finally get it fired up , I even went as far as to pull a valve cover wondering if I messed something up , it was following suit like the head and just giving me a hard time but she finally roared to life on about three cylinders and slowly pushed the rest of the air out and cleaned up ... Boy does it run nice now !!

Not done with the project though , more to come !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby N law » Tue Nov 15, 2016 1:04 pm

I have fought with priming my golf (not nearly the size or scale of this one!) and it leaks down regularly. I finally put a boat in-line primer pump on the inlet line to pressurize the system before starting. It still takes a second to burp the air of out the injectors. Since its all mechanical, the injectors pop open once they reach a certain pressure and if there is air in there, it just compresses so no fuel makes it past the injectors until its purged. The boat pump really helps prime it quickly. Not sure if it would have helped here though.

Thanks for the project updates!
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby Von » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:12 pm

bradzuzu wrote:I've been so busy working on this truck ugg !!

I'll start where I left off..

... I love the clevis collection.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 34 times

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:30 am

Haha you like that eh , well I had to get the lifting just right and on top of that keep it level :) ... I wasn't about to have that thing dump in me ...

N law this thing has a primer pump built into the fuel filter body , believe you me , every time I popped it off I checked the prime and pumped it up .... It just would not prime up for the life of it ... Here's the routine I ended up trying ..

Since I didn't want to crankity crank it (the first time before the starter puked) I used a little squirt of brake clean down into the intake , its less explosive than starting fluid ... That was the first afternoon and it was starting to pop a cylinder , but that's when the starter bit it... The next day I replaced the starter , and a couple of the battery leads , and the master battery disconnects , one circuit wasn't getting could connection ... Story of my life lately , everything's gotta be the hard way ...

Of course since the engine was new the truck should look the part ..

I had this great idea that if I painted up the hood I'd be able to wash the truck up and have everything look fresh again...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:32 am

Whoops forgot the last of the engine pics

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:00 am

Now onto the rest of the job !!

The door has primer on it because I burned half the paint off the lower section , why ?? Well like I said before everything's been extra special this go around ... The door panel had busted the spot welds on the outer panel and that's the strength of the door or structure of it ... I wanted to try the aluminum brazing (saw a video and it looked pretty ummm , something) we'll just say it always looks easy ... I cleaned the cracked out welds and with the torch I heated the two sides and somewhat melted on some aluminum with a tig rod ... I've tested a couple different sticks , one was suggested from the welding shop which didn't work in the past and didn't work this time either... The tig rod (two different sizes) seemed to work but it just didn't melt in good and fuse , I tried it on a pop can and then a little thicker piece of aluminum and was able to get those to pool but not the door , I only succeeded at getting it hot enough to warp the outer panel and melt the paint ... After my failed attempts I pulled my service truck over and fired up the welder and very easily layed welds in over the cracked welds and even added some problem free... Moral of that , stick with the tried and true ... the panel took some work and it's definitely not as easy as steel (it stretched out halfway through so I had to grab the torch set again and shrink the area down so it wouldn't pop in or out) atleast aluminum can tighten up like steel (one positive note for the day)... Then finished it up with a little filler ...

I started with the faded silver line then taped it off..

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:18 am

The next day I moved on to the burgundy stripe

The passenger door was in good shape and since I was clear coating I taped it off ...

I no sooner started cleaning up for the day after shooting and the temperature in the shop must've dropped and I ended up with a stinking sag in my paint

I went ahead and taped the rest off and then reworked the back section where the paint pissed me off... One thing I did different because I was going to do clearcoat was left out the hardener in the mix (the burgundy was single stage) , it worked but seemed a bit soft... It was a rainy week to so the extra moisture may not have helped ..

Finally a success !!

I like base coat !!!

The small bits I had to shoot , yet another story that I'll come to soon enough..

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:25 am

Here's how stained up the paint was ..

With a little bit of this

It washed up !!

I was able to continue onward ..

The hood was pretty bad on the very front so I tore into it trying to do everything in steps

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:37 am

Next phase

Peel off the tape and make sure the parts needing to be taped where indeed still taped or retaped (if that's even a word) , I did allot of taping !!!

But it was finally time to make it shine !!

The smaller bits

Much easier to deal with ..

I did allot of testing and trial and error to see what I could get away with , with the clear coat , the hood was previously sprayed with it but peeled the top section hence why I started with it first , I tested touching up the red on the fenders and shooting over some of the old clear coat (test the ability and outcome) ... It didn't work so bad , prepping it is kinda of a bunch of work , most painting projects are anyway.. I learned what I could get away with or hust how well clear coat can revitalize paint , glance up at the door , you can't even tell it was old paint that I saved ...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby bradzuzu » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:51 am

One last problem

The next day of assembly , I went to install the headlight assemblies and after finishing the drivers side I found out that the new headlight extenders (that's what they're called, I call em bezels) where both left hand pieces ... In other words another phone call , another order , and yet another day ... One of the other trucks has been leaking out of the rear main seriously bad so I've been pressed to get big red back in action ... One more paint day and it was complete

The reshoot of clear in the front fenders took a bit of buffing , then the aluminum and stainless steel needed cleaning , the Zep aluminum cleaner rocked , pretty much wipe on and wash off

Anyway she's back in action and I'm balz deep or was in the new Pete (automatic) dump truck that had the rear main leak ...

Makes me proud till I see it after it's worked for a couple weeks in this winter weather ...

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby paulevans76 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:13 am

Nice work!
91 SAS Trooper - Neverending tinkering
Semi-hopped-up 3.4 + MUA5 + 3.07:1 low
Waggy D44 Front - 5.38's + RCV's + OX
Rodeo D44 Rear - 5.38's + Detroit
35" General Grabber X3's on Interco Birddogs
paulevans76
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 87 times

Postby gwana66 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:10 pm

Beauty!
98 Amigo, 2.2 5sp 4x4, 4.77 gears and factory LSD.
Power nothing - No power windows, no power locks, no power engine. ;)
Even the hubs are manual now.
2003 Grille and headlight swap
gwana66
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 205 times

Postby bradzuzu » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:13 am

It already looks like this !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby N law » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:02 am

Someone take it on a river crossing?
99 VX
96 Rodeo Build thread
1975 FJ40
69 Beetle
84 Westfalia
70 VW bus turned camper
86 VW Diesel Golf
07 Frontier V6 6 speed
N law
Almost Joe Isuzu

Postby bradzuzu » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:30 pm

I guess the dump sites are just a horrible mess this year , one place is using a big puddle for a wheel wash ...

After finishing the red truck I was faced with a whole greater (maddening) challenge of pulling a trany on our auto dump truck to do the rear main. I pressurewashed it as good as I could but yuck was it dropping crap down on me ..

Wiring catastrophe to boot !!

Wrestling the big heavy starter in this particular truck was so bad , there's a 3" in diameter wiring harness above it so no access , the top bolt was total guess where the head of the bolts at, and because it was so difficult I replaced the starter ..
The ring gear was chipped up pretty good so I replaced it , strangest setup I've ever seen for the flex plate , it was multi layered plates (five of them) bolted to a spacer off the crank and then six bolts coupling it to the torque converter adapter plate that holds the ring gear , I'm surprised it's held up !!

My build up page
Four link pics

bradzuzu
Donor
Donor

Postby DSUZU » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:31 pm

You did a really great job on the dump truck engine / paint job. It's a shame the driver got it dirty so fast. One thing I always hated about "really" fixiing up our trucks was that the majority of the drivers didn't care and would trash them as soon as they got them. We did (still do) have a very few drivers / operators who took pride in their machines and always did try to keep theirs in good shape. Always wanted some kind of "Clean Machine" award for the drivers to help instill a sense of pride.
Starter repair pictures again reminded me of stuff I'm glad I left behind. Still have to hustle a starter off the shelf and out to the mechanics now and then (those puppies ARE heavy - and worse when you have to twist around to install them.
Then there's the pic showing the PTO pump hose sneaking out from between the tranny and the frame. Lots of bad memories of those too. For several years now, we have not been allowed to steam or pressure clean our stuff - EPA rules. Between 300 and 400K for a new wash rack, and because they "low bid" the job, it turned into an over priced car wash - no heavy trucks or equipment allowed in the wash area. Love my parts counter :D. Dennis

DSUZU
I am the Stig

PreviousNext

Return to General Chit Chat