Transmission jack repair. Another fine mess.

Use this forum to post about something that doesn't fit in any other topic (ex: link to the picture of the Toyota in a sink-hole)

Moderator: Staff

Transmission jack repair. Another fine mess.

Postby Von » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:40 pm

Last year I picked up an old Hein Werner model 54. Seals were shot, it'd been sitting outside a while. I ordered a seal repair kit from Lazzar's and started taking the thing apart today. I've never taken a hydraulic cylinder apart before but figured.. why not. It was cheap and they're kickass jacks.

I found 2 things out about it that are giving me pause.

1. I don't have a spanner wrench to take the cap off the cylinder with.

2. I found some pitting on the ram.

Okay, 3 things... 3. The pdf I downloaded with the exploded diagram shows a big nut on the end, not the smooth cap that requires a fancy spanner.

IMG_20170321_124410512_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170321_124356964.jpg

I haven't looked for the wrench yet but I'm sure there's one out there. But I think the pitting is a bad sign. Not sure that there's a seal in the end cap for the pitting to ruin but if there's pitting on the ram then there's probably some in the bore too. and I am sure there's a seal on the other end that would be ruined.
Had high hopes for this rehab... I don't know a lot about hydraulics. Would honing the bore fix it up if it's as pitted as the ram is? Seems like, best case, it would be a slow leaker.

Already have $50 invested in the seal kit. More money chasing down a spanner? HOPE the bore isn't toast? ... or try to return/resell the seal kit and chunk the jack? OR.... try to adapt a bottle jack in place of the factory hydraulics?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 33 times

Sponsor

Re: Transmission jack repair. Another fine mess.

Postby red cube » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:18 pm

You may want to swing by your local farm equipment or industrial supply place that does hydraulics for their opinion. I'm thinking the pitting you show is on the non-pressurized side of the ram; they might be able to machine it down a little and swap in some thicker rings. Ditto on the bore if it's corroded as well. It may be cheap, but if there's a lot more damage then adapting a new jack to replace that ram could be the least spendy way to go. I'm not familiar with that specific jack model but I do like the robust construction and what appear to be solid, old school metal casters... it'd be a shame to scrap it.

HTH
Mark
for Lo! I am Isuzu: consumer of fuel and harbinger of rust;
Look upon my tires, ye potholes, and despair!
red cube
Trail Master

Have thanks: 23 times

Re: Transmission jack repair. Another fine mess.

Postby Von » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 pm

red cube wrote: I'm not familiar with that specific jack model but I do like the robust construction and what appear to be solid, old school metal casters... it'd be a shame to scrap it.

HTH
Mark

Exactly. Not sure but I think this one was made in the 60's. The old man that used to own it had passed away, his daughter said he was a mechanic at the local Ford house back then.
I'd like to save it but not willing to sink a ton of money into it.

There's room for my 4 ton bottle jack in there but the pump lever on it is in the way. With the screw on the end of the ram extended I'd need to either put another 2 inch extension on it or shorten the arms on the lifting block the old cylinder was attached to.... or not extend the ram screw and REALLY shorten those arms. Then build a mounting bracket that extends 2 inches out the back of the jack.

Doable.

But may investigate rehabbing the old cylinder some more first. Might mosey down to TSC or one of the feed stores and see who does that kind of work.
2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
1990 Trooper 2.8 V6 Auto (Wrecked... sent to the crusher)
1993 Shortbed, regular cab Z71 (Donated to step-son #2)(deceased, parted out)(Forums for GM and fullsize 4X4s suck... so I'm still hanging out here)
1965 Ford Fairlane 500 Sports Coupe 289 & 4 speed (some assembly required)
1968 Kaiser M715, Chevy 350/700r4, stock NP200 and 5.87 gears... prepping for Ford 390/T-18/divorced NP205 transplant.. .just because.
Von
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 33 times

Return to General Chit Chat