Driver side rear hub issue

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Driver side rear hub issue

Postby Kel Varnsen » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:56 pm

Hey everyone, Erik here from beautiful Colorado. Long time reader, first time poster. PlanetIsuzoo has been an amazing resource for both knowledge and inspiration, thanks to everyone. I wish it had been around when I had my 1980 P'up 4x4. Anyway, I've got a 1990 Trooper 2.6, 5-speed with only 110,000 miles on the clock, which has been awesome. It runs great and I've been steadily trying to work on things to make it a solid daily driver. (New thermostat, manual hubs, which along with some axle grinding so the clip would, well, clip got the 4wd going again, clutch bleed, new stereo, timing belt and so on.) A month or so back I noticed an occasional "moan" which appeared to be coming from the driver side rear wheel, particularly when reversing and turning but seemingly only at slow speeds. Today I drove about 20 miles and decided to feel the hubs, to see if one was noticeably warm, well bingo; drivers side wheel from the hub outward towards the tire was decently hot, much hotter than the passenger side, I'm thinking one of two thing are happening here; 1. my wheel bearing is bad or 2. my brake is dragging. I'm posting to see if any of my fellow 1st Gen Trooper owners have any advice for chasing down this issue. All the troubleshooting I've done is as described above, when I drive home this afternoon I'll feel the actual braking surface of the rotor to see if it feels like the brake is dragging, as I'm sort of leaning towards the brake dragging. Anyway, thanks in advance, and I'm proud to be part of such a great resource. Oh and if this has been covered and I missed it in my search of the forum, please point me in the right direction.

Erik
Kel Varnsen
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Driver side rear hub issue

Postby geoffinbc » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:40 pm

Dragging brakes are common because of the poor design of the ebrake system. Ensure the lever has fully returned after releasing the brake. I had to smack mine with a hammer. If this turns out to be your issue then replace the cables.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 312 times

Re: Driver side rear hub issue

Postby Kel Varnsen » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:29 am

Alright, I'll look into it.

Thanks, geoffinbc.
Kel Varnsen
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time