Power folding mirror problem on my Trooper

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Power folding mirror problem on my Trooper

Postby korgboy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:51 am

I have a 1999 Trooper with the power folding side view mirror feature (not to be confused with the electric mirror adjustment that tilts the mirror angle so you can see better, this is the feature that folds the entire mirror in automatically, instead of folding it by hand), and today the passenger side mirror malfunctioned. When I pushed the button to unfold the mirrors, the driver side mirror unfolded as usual, but I noticed that the passenger side mirror was not unfolding, yet its little motor was running non-stop. I messed around with it and I'm pretty sure I've determined that something inside the folding mechanism has broken or come apart.

I removed the entire mirror unit from the door, but I can't tell how to take the mirror apart to get into the motor and mechanism that rotates the mirror to fold it in and out. I got the mirror unit partially apart, but I'm not quite into the mechanics.

Anybody ever gotten into one of these? I'm kinda desperate - it may sound strange, but this is one of my favorite features of the Trooper because my garage is a little bit crowded, and the parking lot at my office has really narrow parking spaces, and it's really nice to have push-button folding mirrors (yeah, it shrinks the truck by 3 inches, but I like it).

Thanks!

Russ
98 Rodeo S Stock - Still in the family...

99 Trooper with 2" Calmini Suspension Lift and 32" Maxxis Bighorns - Sold it (and still regret it)

Loved them both.
korgboy
Drives in Mud

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Postby Red0ktober » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:01 am

Hah, I just got a '94 and noticed that feature. Blew my mind. :P

Didn't realize anyone outside of Japan would actually use it.
'86 Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon
'90 Isuzu Trooper LS, 3.4L 60ºV6 (3.1L MPFI intake, '7727 ECU)
'96 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
Red0ktober
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 9 times

Postby korgboy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:04 am

Yeah, I'm a dork... but I have to admit - every time people get in my truck and see those mirrors fold out, they're impressed.

Ok - desperate times call for desperate measures. I posted an ad on Craigslist pleading for a replacement mirror. I'm sure I won't find it that way, but you never know... I'm likely headed to the junkyard this weekend.

On that topic, anybody in the Denver, CO metro area know of any good junkyards that might have some Troopers?

Thanks,

Russ

99 Trooper with 2" Calmini Suspension Lift and 32" Maxxis Bighorns - Sold it (and still regret it)

Loved them both.
korgboy
Drives in Mud

Postby korgboy » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:00 pm

I made a small amount of headway today toward getting the mirror unit apart. I hope to have some time this weekend to try to determine what the heck happened to cause it to stop working. Apparently, the trick is to get the mirror glass out of the unit, then you can get to some of the good stuff inside.

If I'm able to successfully fix this thing, I'll post some pictures here to share with the next poor guy that has to fix his power folding mirrors on a Trooper.

Thanks,

Russ

Loved them both.
korgboy
Drives in Mud

mirrors for trooper

Postby bishop242 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:27 pm

Hey Korg,

Stadium auto parts on Lowell blvd near 72nd had several Troopers on their lot a couple of months ago...
I found a replacement door for my 2000 there (even the right color).

They are a little high on prices but will almost always lower the asking price if you ask.
2000 Trooper limited- 285/75/16 bfgs, ome 912s , 3" lift
1991 Trooper V6 "The Tank" 4.3 TBI, 33/12.5 bfgs Manual hubs, 2" wheel spacers, bushings, suspension, sliders, 3" lift, onboard air and 700w inverter
2000 Rodeo LS 4x4 SOLD
1989 Trooper 2.6 - R.I.P. Killed by a 6$ heater hose
bishop242
Loyal P'up

Postby korgboy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 1:42 am

Thanks for the suggestion on Stadium Auto Parts. I went ahead and called them, and they want around $90 for the mirror, but they don't happen to have a chrome one on hand. Bummer.

However, I finally found some time to sit down at the bench (ok, dining room table) and work on this blasted thing. In short, I was able to figure out how to take it apart, and actually get into the little gearbox that folds the mirror in and out. I think I figured out what the problem was. There is one screw inside the gearbox that basically holds everything together, and it is my belief that this screw was loose, which allowed at least one of the gears inside this gearbox to become misaligned.

I put the mirror all back together again, and tested it by attaching a small 7.2v R/C car battery directly to the little motor that operates the rotating mechanism, and it appears to be working just fine.

Regrettably, it was very impractical for me to take pictures while I was doing this procedure because the inside of this mirror is one of the most incredibly messy places I've ever been on a car. There is a LOT of dirt, goop, glues, gooey stuff, and general nastiness. There is no possible way to touch this thing at all, and have hands that are clean enough to operate a camera. However, if anybody out there runs into a problem with their Trooper's folding mirror feature, feel free to PM me and I'll tell you at least how to take the thing apart, and how to identify the screw that was loose in my case.

I can't call the repair a total success yet because I've only tested it with half of the voltage that the Trooper is going to deliver to it when I mount the mirror back on the truck. I have not been able to do that just yet because I'm going to have to get some GooGone or something to thoroughly clean up the mirror surface; it accidentally came in contact with some of the aforementioned gooey stuff, and I need to clean it rather aggressively before I put it back into the mirror housing.

Thanks for reading!

Russ

Loved them both.
korgboy
Drives in Mud

Postby shooter » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:56 pm

Good job. Hope you applied some thread locker to that pesky little screw.
1989 Isuzu Trooper S/ 4WD / 2.6 Litre 4 Cyl 4ZE1 Converted to Weber 32/36 Carb / 5-speed Manual (MUA5) / Warn Premium Hubs / Fancy Radio / Deluxe Intermittent Combination Wiper Switch

I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints

Some people are like Slinkies; they are not good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
shooter
Donor
Donor

Have thanks: 150 times

Postby korgboy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:11 pm

Ok, I'm going to call this one fixed. I finally mustered up the courage to re-mount the mirror and operate the power-folding mechanism. The mirror that was broken is now working fine, though it's a little more 'clicky' than the driver's side. I think it was always like that, however, and knowing what I know now about the internal components of that mechanism, I know that this sound I'm hearing is not likely the gears grinding or anything like that, I believe it's in the pivoting portion.

I have to really give Isuzu credit for designing the feature to be so simple. Initially I was frustrated because the mirror is difficult to disassemble, but once the mirror popped out of the housing it was pretty easy from there. It's a mess in there, they used a lot of gooey stuff to keep it all together, but it's simple and well-designed.

Thanks,

Russ

Loved them both.
korgboy
Drives in Mud

Postby nina » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:00 am

would love to read directions on how to remove the mirror to get to the mechanism that runs the folding
nina
Drives on Dirt

Postby 94silverbeast » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:22 am

i am having the same problem with mine except it wont go in but comes out easily
'94 Troop
94silverbeast
Super Trooper

Postby korgboy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:49 am

I remember the process fairly well, but unfortunately I didn't have a good digital camera at the time of this project, so I didn't get any pictures really. I think I took a few with a cell phone, but I don't think they will probably be very helpful to anybody.

Mine would also fold out, but it didn't want to fold in. Sometimes, it would fold out, but instead of stopping where it's supposed to, it would keep going until the back of the mirror was against the side of the pillar next to the windshield!

You may have the same problem that I had. Getting the mirror off the truck is surprisingly simple. Bear in mind that my Trooper is 1999, so these directions may vary a little bit, but should be close.

On the inside of the door, directly behind the mirror's mounting point, I had a little speaker in the corner that I had to pop out (I think some trucks might have a little blank plastic panel there instead). I was able to pop it out by very gently prying at it with a small flathead screwdriver.

Once that panel is out, there are two or three screws there that hold the mirror to the door. It's a good idea to roll down the window so you can hold the mirror in one hand and operate the screwdriver with the other.

Once the mirror is loose, pull it out just far enough until you can get to the little nylon connector that attaches the cable coming out of the mirror to the cable coming out of the truck.

Now you can take the mirror inside and put it up on a table to work on it.

I think the hardest part of getting into the mirror assembly was figuring out where to start disassembling the mirror. There are no visible entry points, no visible screw heads, and no seams that you can obviously get a screwdriver into. It turns out, you actually have to (very carefully) pry the glass itself out of the housing. It will make clicks and pops, but if you go around it and apply equal pressure (pulling the mirror out of the housing), and eventually it will just sort of pop out.

Be careful, because the mirror (if it's heated) will also have a cable coming off of it, and you need to disconnect that cable. Also, there is a super-sticky goo all over the back of the mirror, and it gets all over EVERYTHING. Just set the mirror face-down somewhere safe. If I had it to do over again, I would wear latex gloves for almost the entire job, because this mirror has all kinds of gooey stuff and LOTS of dirt in it.

Now you'll see some screw heads, and the block of black plastic (above the mirror's pivot point) which contains the little motor and transmission that controls the power-folding operation. What you need to do is basically get to that black box where the motor and transmission are housed.

I don't remember clearly for sure how I separated that part from the mirror's housing, but I believe there are a few screws that hold the big piece (that the back of the mirror was stuck to) to the inside of the housing. Once you have that loose, I believe you can maneuver the whole thing out of the chrome housing.

Now, on the bottom of the black box (where the mirror's cables come out), there is a small hex nut with a screw in the middle of it. You probably need to tighten that screw. To do so, I believe you have to bust into the black box. Mine was just glued together, so I just dug at the seam with a flathead screwdriver. Again, more gooey stuff here, so you might want to keep those latex gloves on...

Once you get the top of the black box off, you will see one single screw on the top of the assembly (medium sized phillips head).. If you turn that screw, you will see it turning inside that small hex nut that is on the bottom of the assembly. In my case, all I really needed to do was tighten that screw. Unfortunately, I didn't know that. So, I took the whole thing apart and took all the gears out and everything. But I never found anything wrong there. After putting it all back together, I had a pretty good understanding of the mechanics that make the folding mechanism work, and I'm quite positive that if i had just tightened that screw, it would have fixed the problem.

By the way, Since that black box is just glued together, I used a really long wire tie to hold it together...

I'm sorry I can't give more detail on the steps when you remove the mechanical part from the big external (exterior shell, the pretty part) housing, but I'm pretty sure you just remove the screws that appear to actually go into the back of the mirror's housing, and then maneuver it out of the housing. It's really a pretty simple job, but for me, not knowing anything, and being a little afraid (because the cheapest I could find another mirror at a junkyard was still over $100, I think), it took me several days to figure it out.

Please feel free to ask any questions. I'm happy to help anybody that is digging into the sideview mirror. My biggest hurdle was just figuring out how to get into the thing. Once I had it apart, I was able to figure it out.

Thanks,

Russ

Loved them both.
korgboy
Drives in Mud

Re: Power folding mirror problem on my Trooper

Postby jl8088 » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:18 am

I know this is an ancient thread that I am bringing back to life but I just went thru the same thing and might be able to help anyone with a similar issue moving forward.

Driver side was making noises but not folding in or out.

Removed inside cover.
Removed 3 bolts holding mirror to car.
Removed glass from mirror using 2 interior panel levers. Work the top and bottom edges.
Undo all electrical connections as you come across them
Undo 5 screws that hold frame to mirror
Undo 2 screws that hold frame to metal triangle piece

Interior piece can now slide out of housing and you can undo the black box. Black box held on by tape.
Check operation at this level by applying 12v to motor prongs. Clean all connections and rotate the metal screw under the mini circuit board back and forth. Seemed to work for me. Buttoned back up and now operational.
1999 Trooper, 265/75 BFG All Terrains
OME Springs (912), OME Shocks (firm)
Torsion Bar Crank, Surco 50 x 60 Safari Rack
Superwinch Manual Hubs, Garmin 60Csx
Durabak exterior coating
jl8088
Has a Trail Truck

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby korgboy » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:39 am

Thanks for sharing your successful procedure! I haven't thought about this project in years, but it's always cool to see that people are still at it.

Loved them both.
korgboy
Drives in Mud

Postby BigSwede » Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:12 pm

I use the power folding feature when off-roading in tight brush or trees, so the mirrors don't take so much abuse. I make sure that the Jeep guys are watching when I do it, they are so jelly.
95 Trooper LS - 4" lift, 35" tires, 5.38 gears, ARB lockers
Indy4x Revolution 3.07:1 low range gears, Indy4x HD tie rods, homemade sway bar disconnects, Calmini HD sway bars, Darlington diff drop, OME 929 coil springs + 1" poly spacers and 1" body lift, Indy4x HD torsion bars, Indy4x HD rear axle links, Indy4x Kevlar brake lines, ARB bullbar, custom rear bumper with swing-out dual jerry can carrier, rock sliders, Sears Platinum Group 31 battery, ARB mini-compressor, Indy4x kevlar air lines, Warn M8000 winch, Blue Sea 6006 winch cutoff switch, Yaesu FT-1900R 2-meter ham radio, Larsen MHW-150C 1/2 wave antenna, Cobra 18WXST CB radio, Firestik II CB antenna, IPF driving lights, generic fog lights, two (2) Blue Sea auxiliary fuse panels, sleeping platform, and outofrshell Dave's custom 1" shifter extension. (I actually typed this list as a joke but people seem to like it.)
BigSwede
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 253 times

Postby MadDogDean » Fri May 12, 2017 2:17 am

Hey all,

This thread is like an old Trooper - down for a while but always comes back.....

Just bought a 95 Bighorn (converted Japan Trooper), the LH drivers mirror is knackered. Pulled it all apart (without cutting the fitted plug off) and I see the one of the bearings for the folding frozen (rusted). I only got so far as to see everything inside. The gears and motor for the folding seemed to be potted in with epoxy or something. I'm over here in the Philippines and parts are hard to find (unless you buy on the classifieds and sometimes (1/2 the time) the description is close to reality), usually they're just trying to sc**w you for the cash! Before getting the Trooper I looked at a Pajero that was described as "really good condition" - if you consider that everything that contained oil was leaking and we were watching the oil drip onto the road as the guy's telling us its a good deal!!!!

Anyhow, any advice to pull the whole folding drive mechanism apart?

I snapped a photo showing how the mirror snaps into place (for anyone else that is hesitant to just ripping it out). I'll post these in a day or so.

Cheers,
MadDogDean
MadDogDean
Drives on Pavement

Return to General Isuzu Discussion