pickup clicking noise and pinion seal

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

pickup clicking noise and pinion seal

Postby reubenT » Thu May 18, 2017 12:36 pm

Love my little Isuzu, ('91 4x4) it's working fine around the farm, almost ready for the road. It has a clicking in both fronts when turning in 4x4. Sounds like the ball joints. Or is there something about the hubs that click? It has manual hubs. Or a limited slip device, but it sounds more like both front ball joints with the usual clicking when it gets worn. Had them do that in subaru a lot when we were using them. The other little thing is the rear pinion seal, It's larger diameter than what's listed in parts store listings for that truck. Was there an upgraded heavy duty axle that was an option? Don't know what to ask for to get a new seal. My only option now is to take it out and try to find a new one by size, but I'm reluctant to start that being I'm using the truck every day in gardening work. Probably would damage the old one and it be disabled till I find a new one.
reubenT
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: pickup clicking noise and pinion seal

Postby oldestisuzuist » Thu May 18, 2017 4:03 pm

4x4 pickups had an Isuzu 12-bolt rear, same as a '91 Trooper, should be Timken/National #710248.
2wd pickups had either an Isuzu 12-bolt (2.6 engines), Isuzu 10-bolt (Japan-built, 2.3 engines) or a GM 10-bolt (US-built, 2.3 engines) rear, the 10-bolts are likely the seals the parts stores have on file since more of those were built.
Isuzu 10-bolt should be #47133, GM 10-bolt #8610.

Edit: when you replace the pinion seal be careful not to overtighten the yoke nut, put it back as close a possible to as is. Too tight will preload the pinion bearing too much, bearing will fail over time requiring a differential tear-down to fix.
'78 LUV, 1.9, headers, 4-spd, SAS Dana 30 front, Dana 20, SOA rear w/Aussie Locker, 31's, serious body cancer, bought new 12/4/78.
'87 Trooper, 2.3, headers, 5-spd, 31's, ball joint flip, Aussie Locker rear, Superwinch hubs, brush guard w/5.5K winch, needs motor, work in progress.
oldestisuzuist
Almost Joe Isuzu

Have thanks: 247 times

Re: pickup clicking noise and pinion seal

Postby reubenT » Fri May 19, 2017 8:31 pm

Thanks. I noticed the nut was not tight. The 47133 is what the parts stores carry. I'll try ordering the 710248 from somewhere. Don't want to take it apart just to see how many bolts are in it. But it is a larger looking diff than the other one on the 2WD truck.
reubenT
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Return to General Isuzu Discussion