1990 Trooper Makeover

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

1990 Trooper Makeover

Postby Panhandler » Wed May 17, 2017 9:05 pm

This is a continuation of the thread "Advice on Motor Swap 6cyl auto to 4cyl manual".

Due to various factors I decided to sell my '84 to a friend and focus on the '90 6cyl Auto. I've been steady stripping and cleaning. The HG is blown and the motor had a slight knock. I ran a bottle of miracle juice thru it to see what would happen. I changed the oil, refilling with a quart of Lucas and topped off with 10w-40. So far she runs okay in the driveway with no smoke or over heat issues. No water in the oil as of yet.
I'll continue to pull parts and clean and once insured and tagged I'll begin short trips around town. If the motor blows I'll rebuild the tranny and install a remanufactured motor. This seems the easiest and quickest way to a solid vehicle.
I'm sure I'll have many questions. I look forward to bringer her back to life.
IMG_2507.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panhandler
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: 1990 Trooper Makeover

Postby RickP » Wed May 17, 2017 9:57 pm

I hope your headgasket in a bottle works out for you. I hope you kept the headlights and grille from the 86. That's worth $200-250 by themselves.
RickP
Mud King

Have thanks: 42 times

Re: 1990 Trooper Makeover

Postby geoffinbc » Thu May 18, 2017 4:09 am

After reading your last thread on swapping your old 4 banger into the 90 I'm glad you decided not to. The V6 is much more fun to drive and reliable in the long term. Plus you can easily get parts for it.

If the motor goes then I highly suggest a 3.1L swap at the minimum. A Rodeo donor is a direct bolt in along with the ECM to control it. See my site for more details.
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 323 times

Return to General Isuzu Discussion