Should I buy this 99 Trooper

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Should I buy this 99 Trooper

Postby Urbtrooper » Sat May 13, 2017 3:01 pm

In my research a lot of people say to avoid the 99 Troopers with the 3.5. But this looks to be in great condition and well kept. I am going to look at it and see how it drives. Anything I should keep an eye out for? I know about the oil burn issue, but that isn't a big deal. I'm not a mechanic, but I can do easy things like oil change, brake pads, etc.

For me, the price is way too high. If I can get it for about 5,000 that would make sense to me.

Edit: The dealer said it needs suspension "tune" and tires. I think he's putting it lightly that it needs a new suspension...but why after only 150,000 kms?

Here's the Trooper http://www.goldkey.ca/used/Isuzu/1999-I ... eb5379.htm
Urbtrooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: Should I buy this 99 Trooper

Postby 5 th rodeo » Sat May 13, 2017 6:43 pm

i would think $5,000 ( US $3800 ) is a lot , susp/ alignment / tires / tune ? could cost a lot / easy $1000 US .

i would pass , part are drying up and very hard to find , very heavy truck with a weak transmission , also i think the 3.5l engine is a interference engine ( unlike the 3.2l ) , if the timing belt breaks so does the engine .

find a clean jeep cherokee
5 th rodeo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 92 times

Postby Urbtrooper » Sat May 13, 2017 6:49 pm

Hey thanks for the input. I went to look at it, and it's not that nice inside. I was drawn in by the awd/4x4, the room inside, and the leather and that it's different.

I appreciate the honesty!
Urbtrooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby geoffinbc » Sun May 14, 2017 12:43 pm

Your right the price is way too high. Its worth it if you can convince the dealer to sell it for what you want. With such low kms you can put a big tranny cooler on it and have a reliable transmission. I would bet the belt has been done so you have years of good life in it. The suspension likely just needs shocks.

Tell the dealer what your willing to pay and leave your number. They know if it goes to auction they will only get a couole thousand for it so im sure they would sell it for $4000 to $5000
1990 Trooper, 3.2L (3.1L .040 over) Pushrod V6, 5 speed manual. 33X10.50X15 BFG M/T KM2's. 3" OME Lift. Cowl Induction Intake. ARB Lockers front and rear. HD Tierods.
Off the road for an overhaul right now.

Big Bore Intake Kits & Greasable Shackles Here
geoffinbc
I am the Stig

Have thanks: 324 times

Return to General Isuzu Discussion