Value of 2000 Trooper with dying transmission?

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

Value of 2000 Trooper with dying transmission?

Postby daxamundo » Thu May 11, 2017 10:41 am

We bought a 2000 Trooper LS (RWD) a few years ago. Part of the reason we decided on this particular one was because the previous owners had the transmission rebuilt and had a transferable warranty on that rebuild. We ended up giving the Trooper to our son, as he went away to college, and the first time he drove it home the transmission was kaput. We took it back to the transmission place and, after some fuss, they rebuilt it again at no charge, but they offered no further warranty. The pump is now leaking (son has been driving it, without realizing it was leaking) and my local mechanic said they would have to pull the transmission to fix it, and they would recommend a remanufactured transmission. Total repair estimate: $4500. Given we paid $3500 for it, I'm thinking we are better off selling it for whatever we can get. The engine runs fine, and our son was actually very good about checking and adding oil as needed. Has newish tires, and has been generally well kept, but there is that transmission problem.

Any thoughts on value, i.e. what I should ask for it? I know it would most likely appeal to someone who either wants parts for another Trooper, or someone who is able to work on the transmission, such that they wouldn't have the added labor costs to repair it.
2000 Trooper LS (RWD)
2004 Acura TL (6-spd, manual)
2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
daxamundo
Drives on Gravel

Have thanks: 1 time

Sponsor

Re: Value of 2000 Trooper with dying transmission?

Postby Buster28 » Thu May 11, 2017 11:19 am

The front pump seal costs about 12 bucks, and is easy to change once you get access. The down side is you have to unbolt the transmission from the engine and move it back enough to remove the torque converter. Checkout this thread:
http://www.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=86116
02 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6
01 Rodeo Sport 4X4 3.2L V6

For this post the author Buster28 was thanked by:
daxamundo
Buster28
4L30E Guru

Have thanks: 876 times

Return to General Isuzu Discussion