1999 Trooper Cigarette Lighter doesn't work

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

1999 Trooper Cigarette Lighter doesn't work

Postby RickysTrooper » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:20 pm

I have power to back of lighter housing (tested with 12 volt test light) but cigarette lighter doesn't work. Don't want to use lighter but need for phone charger. Plugged in cell phone charger and that doesn't work. Can I assume that the lighter housing is bad?
If so can anyone point me to any web sites that sell original Isuzu parts or is my best bet a universal lighter housing that I might have to jury rig to fit?

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

Ricky
RickysTrooper
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 0 time

Sponsor

Re: 1999 Trooper Cigarette Lighter doesn't work

Postby gb89amigo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:56 pm

RickysTrooper wrote:I have power to back of lighter housing (tested with 12 volt test light) but cigarette lighter doesn't work. Don't want to use lighter but need for phone charger. Plugged in cell phone charger and that doesn't work. Can I assume that the lighter housing is bad?
If so can anyone point me to any web sites that sell original Isuzu parts or is my best bet a universal lighter housing that I might have to jury rig to fit?

Thanks for any help y'all can provide.

Ricky

Ricky,

Welcome to the Planet!

Next, get ahold of a 12volt test light or multimeter, using the appropriate range, and check the internal contacts for continuity! If still have no voltage, you may have a blown fuse! Trace with your light or meter to where you lose power. Could be a bad fuse, broken wire hidden by it's insulation, broken or mangled contacts, missing wire, or even a missing ground. Let us know what you find. HTH!

Cheers,

GB
'89 Amigo XS RWD, 4ZE1, MUA5, HC6 (Rear Wheel Drive, 2.6L Fuel Injected, 5 spd trans f/ 2.6L and up, 4.56:1 differential 2WD/4WD)
Future: Install the "Big Brake" upgrade, so I don't break things! . Acquired '95 V6 Passport/Rodeo front rotors (11.04") and assemblies. Need to pull G80/LSD rear from '92-'97 Trooper.
'90 Amigo 4WD, Parts car

More FUN!!! :)
gb89amigo
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 116 times

Postby FE125 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:06 pm

Make sure you're getting ground on the outer sleeve of the lighter socket.
FE125
Drives on Pavement

Postby fibersport » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:03 pm

There is a fuseable link on the lighter socket on my 98 Trooper, not really sure why but mine was blown. It's maybe 3/16" long and covered with a plastic insulation of sorts, it also did not look blown.
'98 Trooper 5 spd.
(burns oil, not rubber)
fibersport
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby tomster » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:01 pm

Like already noted maybe it is simply the fuse. I recently had to replace the one in my 99. It is in the cabin on the left side down where your left shin is. It was labelled "cigar" and I think a yellow 20amp one, IIRC. A dash cam adapter shorted out causing the fuse to blow.
tomster
Expedition Ready

Have thanks: 14 times

Postby RickysTrooper » Wed May 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Thanks for evrybodys help. Turns out the guts of the lighter housing was bad.Tried switching out with universal lighter housing guts but they didn't match up. Decided to install constant 12 volt socket that looks just like lighter socket. works likw a champ.
RickysTrooper
Drives on Pavement

Return to General Isuzu Discussion