88 Trooper 4 door front side glass repair

This forum is for the discussion of general Isuzu related information

Moderator: Staff

88 Trooper 4 door front side glass repair

Postby MotoMike » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Hi all, both of the plastic window retainers snapped(DOOH!) the other day while raising the passenger window. I have some Dorman replacements that look like they'll work. I've gotten the door card off, peeled off the plastic weather seal, popped out the inner rubber along the top of the door frame. My question is how do I move the front track to disengage the window from the track so I can remove the glass to install the new retainers? I took out the 2 bolts on the bottom of the door and the brass colored phillips screw just under the vent window. What do I do next to get the track to move so I can disengage/remove the window? Also, would appreciate guidance going forward?
1988 Trooper XS 2.6L Auto Trans 200k
MotoMike
Loyal P'up

Have thanks: 4 times

Sponsor

Re: 88 Trooper 4 door front side glass repair

Postby mikelee101 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:28 pm

Not sure how similar the Trooper is to the Rodeo, but on the Rodeo once you get the water shield and rubber strip out, you have to raise the window a couple of inches to be able to get to the two bolts in the track that hold the glass in place. Not sure if those are the two bolts you're talking about at the base of the door, but once those are out the glass should slide right out. Mine has old fashioned crank handles instead of power, which makes it a little easier to get those bolts lined up with the access hole in the door frame. If you've got power windows and you've removed the switch assembly when you took off the door panel, you might need to jumper the window motor to get the track to move. The other option (depending on how accessible the window motor is) would be to remove the motor, then you could raise the track by hand. You'd just need to remember to prop it up, because the motor wouldn't be there to hold it in place any longer.

Don't know if that helps or not. Hope it does.

Good Luck.

Mike

For this post the author mikelee101 was thanked by:
MotoMike
mikelee101
Drives on Pavement

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby MotoMike » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:46 pm

Thanks for your response Mike. The 2 window clip bolts are no problem. I'm thinking I need to swing the front track away from the window to be able to disengage window from both side channels, then remove glass from door. If that's the case, I need to know how to swing the front channel.

I would also appreciate advice on removing the broken mount clips from the glass, how to clean the glass, and what adhesive if any to use to mount the new clips.
MotoMike
Loyal P'up

Postby reran » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:16 am

It's been awhile since I've done one but if I recall, you'll have to remove the vent window to remove the glass. HTH.
"As slowly as possible, as fast as necessary."

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

89 Trooper, 2.6L Turbo, AW 30-80LE
90 Spacecab LS 4wd, 2.6, 5spd
94 Trooper SE, 3.2 DOHC
Image Image

For this post the author reran was thanked by:
MotoMike
reran
Zu Royalty

Have thanks: 24 times

Postby MotoMike » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:37 am

Tips on removing the vent window? Thanks for the reply.
MotoMike
Loyal P'up

Postby MotoMike » Fri May 12, 2017 7:29 pm

Fixed. Removed the vent window glass, took loose the front window guide, vent window sub frame and moved it all slightly forward and out of door frame to allow enough clearance to remove glass. Thanks for the help!
MotoMike
Loyal P'up

Return to General Isuzu Discussion